Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crankcase ventilation on a Zetec - help needed
Paul Turner

posted on 17/2/15 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ford build millions of engines and spend countless millions on research. If crankcase ventilation was not required they would save the few pence on parts and simply not fit it.

I appreciate that the emissions systems on our engines are different (basically non existent) but that does not mean you want the pressure in the crank case building up.

My car has been Zetec powered for about 14 years now and has always had the stock breather fitted with the valve removed and the pipe into a plastic bottle (together with a pipe from the cam cover breather). Its worked perfectly with virtually zero residue form either a well worn engine or new Blacktop.

Since all engines come with the breather (oil separator) box its easy enough to leave it fitted at zero cost. Just remember to remove the valve, it will not work without vacuum.

kingster996

posted on 17/2/15 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
Ford build millions of engines and spend countless millions on research. If crankcase ventilation was not required they would save the few pence on parts and simply not fit it.
More likely that this is specifically to meet emissions targets and regulations forced upon them - they have to fit it and they have to spend millions on R&D to keep an engine 'clean'. Doesn't mean the engine will suddenly fail if it is not there, simply that it will not pass the more stringent emissions standards that are actually not required for our particular cars.

[ETA] all in my opinion of course

[Edited on 17/2/15 by kingster996]

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

Rena

posted on 18/2/15 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
In Sweden we need to have the crankcase ventilation sealed/closed.

If i don´t plug the crankcase breather and use it, there are no connection on my inlet manifold to connect a hose as I´m running R1 carbs. The only inlet on my intake manifold is for brake servo. I have read that the PCV valve needs vacuum to open. Correct? Is there a replacement PCV valve that will be constant open?

I read somewhere that blanking the crankcase breather will be fine if using a dry sump.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.