Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone see a problem with this?
02GF74

posted on 27/9/07 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
now I'm confused.

first diagram shows fog lamp coming on when brake is pressed and meets the criteria of "wanting to use my fog lights as an extra pair of brake lights when it's not foggy"

With the addition of the second diode to prevent switch illuminating, it will work. As you have LEDs lamps, 1N400x diodes wpould be enough to handle the current.

You can put two, three or more diodes to lose some voltage so make the fog lamp
dimmer but as you now tell us the lamps are LEDs, they may not work if the voltage is too low plus without knowing the internal lamp design, they may be wired up internally to give constant brightness over a range of voltages so voltage droppping diodes may not work as inteneded.

The second diagram now shows fog lamp being used as extra tail lamp so no longer meets the original requirement. Any additional diodes don't come into play not because the lamps are LEDs but because the wiring of the bulbs is separate. (the fog lamp now is a two element bulb whereas previously it was single).

The second digram would work to make fog lamps come on with tail lamps.

RazMan

posted on 27/9/07 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Thats the way my brain goes sometimes - sorry to confuse you.

To clarify, after it was pointed out how annoying it can be to have fog lights used as brake lights I decided to use them as tail lights instead - extra night visibility is good thing in such a low car and my existing tail lights are rather small. I have a spoiler mounted brakelight too so maybe five brake lights is a bit excessive

The fog light and tail light 'bulbs' are dual brightness LED jobbies so I can mix and match to suit the requirements.

hth

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 27/9/07 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
one q. what makes your brake light different to the fog light?

I think on tintops the same bulb wattages are used but the fog lamp, when on, is brighter due to the lens used, or am i way off the mark?

RazMan

posted on 27/9/07 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Thats partly why I decided to go for the tail light option. The lense of the fog light is a little different but by changing the position of the bulb I can alter the focal point of the light, making it a little more diffused and less 'pointy'.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.