Author: Subject: IRS AGAIN!!!
Mix

posted on 7/2/05 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nah!!

S'OK it goes with my all singin and dancin rear end

Mick

chunkielad

posted on 7/2/05 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'm impressed Mix - I have not had a go myself yet as to be honest - I'm not sure I could get my head round it. Much easier to use a system that works already

I assume yours isn't tested then. If the guys and girls on here generally say there's no probs, do you have an issue with me copying? I wouldn't want to steal anything

Mix

posted on 8/2/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yes as yet untested.
I don't have an issue with anyone copying or adapting my design for their own use, (in fact it would be rather flattering), however I would feel a tad peeved if someone used my work commercially without coming to some sort of arrangement first.

Mick

pbura

posted on 8/2/05 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Nice job, Mick!

I plunked your coordinates into the Wishbone proggie (guessed at ride height and tire size) and you have very tight RC control (as you know!). Roll center height I came up was 79mm, which might be off because of my assumptions. Camber gain was as advertised.

As your layout is about what I'd like myself, I'll be interested to see how it works out for you. AFAIK, it's much like the new Caterham.

Did you make any changes to the front end?

Pete

Pete

Mix

posted on 8/2/05 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
At the front I kept the book design lower bone. The upper bone I redesigned increasing it's length slightly, (to decrease the amount of exposed thread on the ball joint which I considered to be excessive). I also made it so that the brackets would sit centrally on the chassis members and give me the correct degree of castor. Finally I incorporated a camber adjusting mechanism which, (I believe), is a refinement to the ones normally seen.

Mick

chunkielad

posted on 10/2/05 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Do you have to build in castor and camber in the IRS too then? I do have a suspension book on it's way BTW so expect more questions to come!!!!
chunkielad

posted on 10/2/05 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry camber is obvious!! Castor is the one I wondered - Mix where have you placed the mounts horizontally to get the right Castor?
MikeRJ

posted on 10/2/05 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a nice setup Mix, I like the uprights especialy. Was it originaly designed for bushes rather than rod ends? Just wondering why you bent the lower wishbone tubes at the chassis end?

Also, whats the deal with what looks like a nut hanging off the end of the lower upright bolt?

[Edited on 10/2/05 by MikeRJ]

Mix

posted on 11/2/05 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Mike

I designed the uprights with ease of manufacture in mind and was quite pleased with the result although I still have to finalise the positioning of the coilover attachment. I decided to go for some form of adjustability early on and opted for rose joints which I thought would be best mounted at 90 degrees to the axis of movement of the wishbone, hence the bends in the wishbones at the chassis end, (the upper bones which are still in the design stage will also incorporate adjustability. Hopefully this will allow me to tune the suspension for optimum ride/handling.

Chunkielad

As you'll probably have realised I'm no suspension expert, all I've done is asked questions and read books, I don't think I'm qualified to advise on suspension issues other than to explain what I've built and why I built it that way. Others on here know much more than I. Good luck with the reading and don't get too bogged down in the early stages.

Mick

New I'd missed something, (I can't switch between the topic and the reply window)
The nut is nothing to do with the set up it's just a threaded rod temporarily holding the wisbone and upright together,(it's actually part of a jig I made to make my front upper bones)

[Edited on 11/2/05 by Mix]

WIMMERA

posted on 11/2/05 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I've gone the other way Mix and put the rod ends outboard with nylon bushes inboard top and bottom, the top bracket on the upright has a crush tube through it with a rod end either side (4 in total) and the top inner bone bracket has three sets of holes for future reference. Interesting to compare what others are doing.

Wimmera

chunkielad

posted on 11/2/05 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Hey Mix,

all the info you have offered seems to be straight and true!! Your measurements may work, may not but at the end of the day, I'm sure it'll be good enough either way unless you are racing.

Just got 'How to build & Modify Sportscar and Kit car Suspension and brakes' by Des Hammill and 'Car Builder's manual' by Lionel Baxter - I hope I'll learn enough to prove or disprove your setup!!!

chunkielad

posted on 12/2/05 at 02:06 AM Reply With Quote
Just been reading 'How to build and modify Sportscar and Kitcar Suspension and brakes.' and got a LOT further to understanding suspension.

So here goes... the standard FRONT book setup gives about 4-4.5 degrees of camber change (ignoring any connections but the wishbones and tested over a 4" change in height - 2" up and 2" down).

Would I be right in saying this is a good setup? - could the same setup be used on the rear? Same points of attaching to chassis and same wishbone lengths etc...

I know you'd have to modify to fit Upright etc but basic geometry stays the same.

How would it handle? It seems from what I've learned so far that all would be fine. AND there is no steering to worry about at the back obviously.

[Edited on 12/2/05 by chunkielad]

[Edited on 12/2/05 by chunkielad]

chunkielad

posted on 12/2/05 at 02:53 AM Reply With Quote
Could someone test these measurements for me and report if they are good or bad?

Upright Height 240mm
Upper Bone 263mm
Lower bone 425mm
Top bone chassis point 124mm in from Bottom one
Top bone chassis point 259mm up from Bottom one.

Chunkie

posted on 13/2/05 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone? I don't get the wishbone program at all - I designed this in 2d and theoretically I think it'll work but I'd just like someone to double check the figures.
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.