Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternative to electrolisis
speedyxjs

posted on 28/11/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Alternative to electrolisis

Anyone tried using coke (the liquid kind ). Iv heard it can clean valves without damaging the metal so could it work with rust. Im only asking as its easier to set up than electrolisis and less smelly than vinegar

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

StevieB

posted on 28/11/08 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think coke would work, but I have heard that molases does.

I've not used it, and can agree with the vinegar thing. Last time I used vinegar, I left the parts submersed in a sealed tub for 5 days. It was all I could do not to throw up when I opened the container - lifted the rust nicely though!

Oh, and I found baking off the parts after washing thoroughly got al of the water out of the poros castings I was de-rusting (in my case, I used the gas bbq)

[Edited on 28/11/08 by StevieB]

BenB

posted on 28/11/08 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Mollasses works very nicely. Coke works on the basis that it's a combination of mollases and phosphoric acid. Phosphoric acid is the basis for quite a few "rust converters".
BenB

posted on 28/11/08 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Before:

Description
Description

Using:

Description
Description

After:

Description
Description

And that was after 48 hours in a 10:1 solution. I think if I'd left it a bit longer it would have been even better.....

I wouldn't bother with electrolysis. Just suspend the piece in some mollases solution and come back after a few days. The chelating agents in mollases will have done the rest.....

davidwag

posted on 29/11/08 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
On a similar note, does anyone know of a good way to clean aluminium castings (i.e throttle bodies etc.) back to good as new?

Thanks

David

clutch_kick

posted on 29/11/08 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
So in theory, if I had to do a Molasses solution ( sticky stuff and water ), check the pH and acidify it slightly with Phosphoric acid, would it aid in it's effectivity?

BenB

posted on 29/11/08 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Probably yes, though I'm not sure what the phosphoric acid would do to the raw metal exposed by the mollases chelation.

Personally I wouldn't bother. Mollasses works nicely if you leave it long enough. Even the black stuff on the nuts after 48hrs is not rust and is stable. I painted those nuts after using the mollasses (I washed them afterwards and cooked them on a low heat in my oven to dry them) and they're great, no flaking, no rusting etc.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.