Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy? Any good? Or a Dax....
hammoj28

posted on 17/12/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy? Any good? Or a Dax....

Hi guys, im new to the forum (just stating the obvious).

Basically looking to build a seven next year, 2009. Once iv finished saving for the kit.

I have been very taken with the MK Indy R, it looks fantastic, the chassis seems, good, has in board suspension etc. And not only that but it seems extremely good bang for buck. I saw one at crail and it was rapid up the strip with a fazer engine.

However, just finished watching the ultimate kit car DVD - Lotus seven replicas. I cant help thinking that the Indy seemed a bit shunned away to the back of the pack. It didn't seem to set a very quick time round the track and all was said was it had a nice chassis....

The Dax rush seemed to be streaks ahead of it but double the price. Bill Sollis just raved on about it.

My problem is, should i build an mk indy with a gsx-r 1000 engine (my planned engine) or save more and buy a Dax? Is it that much better for probably double the price. I mean it would take more saving and more time obviously.

Any help and guidance would be much appreciated.

James

[Edited on 17/12/08 by hammoj28]

mr henderson

posted on 17/12/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum

I'd go for the Indy if the difference is as much as you say. Are you sure it is, have you added up ALL the costs?

John

chrsgrain

posted on 17/12/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
It could well be double - but if you are going to compare - make sure you compare like with like..... Never driven an MK - but lots of people rate them. Might be worth looking on www.rushowners.co.uk lots of us Dax owners over there....

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

hammoj28

posted on 17/12/08 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
It really depends how extreme you go with the build, i mean all my past projects have cost me more than i have planned.lol Its expected now. You get carried away.

Im just taking off the DVD, it was reckoned that spec Indy could have been built for around 5k and the Dax was probably about 12k. From what iv calculated so far im well over 6k for the Indy. Not looked into the Dax too much.

Daimo_45

posted on 17/12/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Look at http://www.mnrltd.co.uk/
mark chandler

posted on 17/12/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Expensive cars, dax tend to have expensive engines and suspension which make them faster.

I bet if you swapped all the goodies over to an MNR or MK or scratch build and took a lot of care over the setup the only advantage in terms of performance would be the driver.

I was at Lydden earlier this year, wizzing past everything except for a crossflow locost that had been setup well. On paper my BEC should have left it for dead, he was quicker on the bends, seemed as fast on the straight.

My Christmas plans are now wider wishbones at the front and rose joints all around, already lowered and toughened the suspension which has improved things.

I would save on the kit and invest in the bits to make it as fast as possible, that includes all the free tuition you can get at track days !!! You will be the slowest part of the equation.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 17/12/08 by mark chandler]

mcerd1

posted on 17/12/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammoj28
You get carried away.

Well I defiantly do.......

I decided to go for a Dax, but went with the "cheap" option of a 2.0 pinto (in a free donor car) - I should have been able to build that for ~£12k easily
but then the upgrades started and its cost me a fair bit more than £12k already and I still haven’t got the engine in the car yet
so its not unexpected things that cost me the extra - I just build a pinto to a higher spec than anyone in there right mind would for a road car

the best way to save money is to do more yourself and get the donor bits cheap

I'm biased towards the dax, but you should also look at the usual suspects (MK, MMR, etc.........)

what about buying second hand and rebuilding / tweaking it to your spec ?
(it could be cheaper - at least to start with)

Where abouts are you based?

[Edited on 17/12/08 by mcerd1]

INDY BIRD

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have a spec R zx10 indy and a dax rush

both good cars just depends on budet,

camber comp chassis is much more but it is a great car,

having said that the indy r is a great handling car compared to the blackbird car on the video which is a std chassis running crap tyres in the damp aswell not going to set the worl on fire,

the zx12r dax is a friend of mines car was running khomo tyres soft compound and the 12 engine pushing atleast 20bhp on the indy,

but you pay your money and make your choice, budget will be the main factor hear, both great fun cars what ever you choose,

hammoj28

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, after seeing what you guys are saying so far im swaying to wards a well set up and carefully built Indy R. Especially since a pinto engine'd dax can cost 12k.

Is the Indy R chassis a lot better? Whats been changed?

I take it a camber compensation kit could be fitted to an Indy eventually?

The only thing that worries me is weight. Is the Indy quite a light chassis?

Iv been looking at powerplants such as GSX-R or even Busa depending. so i dont think power will be too much of a problem.

mcerd1, im based up in Aberdeenshire.

DarrenW

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the forum.

I love it when people post in a certain section and ask if the cars are any good

You will rarely find 2 sevens the same or similar enough to be compared objectively. Thats part of the fun in selecting your kit. In the MK type price range you have a few good ones to look at so enjoy it. They are all decent cars, pros and cons for all.

welderman

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
James,

You have a U2U (top, middle of your screen!).

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

fesycresy

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason

I have my own opinion on what 7 i'd go for if i was to build one again and it's not been mentioned so far

Chris

I'd guess at Caterham, but you could be a bit tall.

Am I right ?

I'd have one, but with my big bones, I'm fuct

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

hammoj28

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
welderman - cant see a message from you?
mcerd1

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Especially since a pinto engine'd dax can cost 12k.

it can cost that - but it can cost much less or much more (sorry that wasn't helpful )

If you've know roughly what you want try and do a complete list of all the bits and costs (kits, engine, donor, recon, lights, gauges, trim..........)
and bare in mind that dax can sell you nearly all the bits - but there are lots you can get cheaper elsewhere

camber compensation is only on the dax's (I think they still have a patent), but it involves a totaly different whishbone setup (and chassis to suit) - its not something that can easily be added later, even on a dax !

to be honest it sounds like you need to see some cars in the flesh - factoty visit (down south mostly) / shows (next year) or maybe you could try and meet up with some of the folk up your way that are on this site ?

rf900rush

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I built a Budget version of the Dax Rush MC.
Completed 2003.
Still cost 10K
Lucky 2 years of good pay and wife working and no kids (DINKS).

Don't for get Se7en's don't loose money like Tin Tops.
For example in 2003 I paid 11K for a Subaru 2.5 Outback.
Now worth 2K ish.
Dax rush, at worst would be 3 times this now.

I used a cheap engine option. Suzuki RF900.
quick to 60mph then it's all over.
I suspect mine is one of the slowest BEC 7's types out there, yet still <5 second to 60.

Just Can't get the RF900 to give any decent power over 8K Rpm.

For a Top Dax Rush Model.
Add 3K for a Hayabusa.
Add 3K for Turbo.
Add (I think 2K) for the optional CC&AR chassis

Then you have an awsome Car.
Just look at Duncan Cowpers.

There are many 7's out there that I think match the many Rush's but It is mostly down to the builder and his budget.

If I was to build another Se7en I would go for a locost sytle, unless I won the lotto, the n I would go for a Dax Rush MC CC&AR.

As for Engine's.

Thanks to Malc (top bloke) at Yorkshire Engine's, I just recieved my ZX12R
That shoud get it going better.

He recomended for me a ZX12R or a late R1

Both have equal power. ZX12R has more low down power.

Speak to him for your engine options, as he comes highly recomened (on this forum).

Martin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Ive tended to notice more MK's doing tracjk days than the Dax ? I think the lates one is going to be Bussa powered and is due to be tested shortly. Phone MK they will always take you out in one
Hellfire

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you've already had a good look around and narrowed it down to the Indy R or Dax, then I'd go for the Indy Spec R. I've never actually driven the Spec R but having been on trackdays along with a few Type R's, they do handle much better than the old Indy chassis.

Have you considered a Westfield?

Phil

hammoj28

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Especially since a pinto engine'd dax can cost 12k.

it can cost that - but it can cost much less or much more (sorry that wasn't helpful )

If you've know roughly what you want try and do a complete list of all the bits and costs (kits, engine, donor, recon, lights, gauges, trim..........)
and bare in mind that dax can sell you nearly all the bits - but there are lots you can get cheaper elsewhere

camber compensation is only on the dax's (I think they still have a patent), but it involves a totaly different whishbone setup (and chassis to suit) - its not something that can easily be added later, even on a dax !

to be honest it sounds like you need to see some cars in the flesh - factoty visit (down south mostly) / shows (next year) or maybe you could try and meet up with some of the folk up your way that are on this site ?

Iv done a rough costing for the mk indy so far and it dont look too bad tbh, more than i thought but parts are pretty cheap. Its just my idiot self thinking thing like "oooooh stack dash". you know the feeling.

Ahh, wasn't sure about the camber comp thing. Thanks for the heads up on that.

I spoke to MK and they were telling me about the test days which sounds really good as id love to drive one before i buy.

Yeah, thing is i dont know much people up here with them. Will see what happens.

hammoj28

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush
I built a Budget version of the Dax Rush MC.
Completed 2003.
Still cost 10K
Lucky 2 years of good pay and wife working and no kids (DINKS).

Don't for get Se7en's don't loose money like Tin Tops.
For example in 2003 I paid 11K for a Subaru 2.5 Outback.
Now worth 2K ish.
Dax rush, at worst would be 3 times this now.

I used a cheap engine option. Suzuki RF900.
quick to 60mph then it's all over.
I suspect mine is one of the slowest BEC 7's types out there, yet still <5 second to 60.

Just Can't get the RF900 to give any decent power over 8K Rpm.

For a Top Dax Rush Model.
Add 3K for a Hayabusa.
Add 3K for Turbo.
Add (I think 2K) for the optional CC&AR chassis

Then you have an awsome Car.
Just look at Duncan Cowpers.

There are many 7's out there that I think match the many Rush's but It is mostly down to the builder and his budget.

If I was to build another Se7en I would go for a locost sytle, unless I won the lotto, the n I would go for a Dax Rush MC CC&AR.

As for Engine's.

Thanks to Malc (top bloke) at Yorkshire Engine's, I just recieved my ZX12R
That shoud get it going better.

He recomended for me a ZX12R or a late R1

Both have equal power. ZX12R has more low down power.

Speak to him for your engine options, as he comes highly recomened (on this forum).

Martin

A turbo busa rush would be mental, unfortunately funds dont stretch that far at the moment.

Iv heard lots of good things about yorkshire engines. Will enquire when i look at getting my engine as im at a bit of a loss with bike engines, cant say iv ever had anyhting to do with them. All i know is they make a lot of noise and are high maintainence.

Im liking the Indy because it should leave me not too tight so i can spend money on setting it up and fine tuning.

hammoj28

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
If you've already had a good look around and narrowed it down to the Indy R or Dax, then I'd go for the Indy Spec R. I've never actually driven the Spec R but having been on trackdays along with a few Type R's, they do handle much better than the old Indy chassis.

Have you considered a Westfield?

Phil

Nice to know they handle a lot better. Not that i know how the older one handles.

I like westy's but im assuming they are quite expensive?

RK

posted on 17/12/08 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
LA Gold MNR Caterham Westfield are all supposed to be good for track. Hearsay, admittedly.
Custardtart

posted on 18/12/08 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
LA Gold MNR Caterham Westfield are all supposed to be good for track. Hearsay, admittedly.

Having raced against all of them and in some of them I'd rank them.

LA Gold/Caterham
Westfield
MNR

When you throw price into the equation there's only one winner but certainly the top 3 give you decent quality too.

Moorron

posted on 18/12/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
i bought a second hand one, so cant comment on the building side of things, all i can offer is the dax is much better looking (seems like a hot rod seven with its wide wheels?) and to go for the best engine you can.

If you go for the cheaper engine option you will be changing it after 12 months when you get used to the power of the lesser unit.

You will enjoy both cars, and any engine. But you will spend more in the long term if you dont go for it at the start.

i also think you need to visit a show where you can look around both cars. Then try and get a ride in each.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

mcerd1

posted on 18/12/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Yeah, thing is i dont know much people up here with them. Will see what happens.

well if you can wait a bit I'm sure there will be a few meet's in the new year (once the weather is a bit better)

I've got half a plan to try and organize something down this way and there has been talk of track days and so on....I'm sure you'll get the chance to introduce yourself

Hellfire

posted on 18/12/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I like westy's but im assuming they are quite expensive?

Westys are similar in cost to a Dax, which is why I suggested it. Although both are more expensive than the equivalent MK. Go for the Spec R chassis and a good bike engine and you'll not go wrong IMO

Ultimately, it depends on your budget and what purpose you want the vehicle for but the MK is superb VFM

Phil

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.