Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA help (Spot the SVA fail)
Promai Joe

posted on 20/3/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
SVA help (Spot the SVA fail)

Hi Everyone,

Being new to the world of kit cars and alike, I purchased the following vehicle on a bit of a whim from EBAY. This is an ex track car which I want to put on the road.

Can anyone help me with an obvious quick list of things (from looking at the photo) which need doing to get through the SVA/IVA.

am aware of some things, like proper seats. So if you fancy playing spot the SVA fail please feel free.

And is anyone want to swap a locked dif for a limited slip dif, just let me know.

The picture s a few posts down. thanks

[Edited on 20/3/09 by Promai Joe]

blakep82

posted on 20/3/09 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
which photo are we looking at?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Hellfire

posted on 20/3/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Where's the photo then?

Phil

Guinness

posted on 20/3/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
From the description, I'd guess it was one of the Dax's that was on 'bay recently.

Yellow / black / pinto powered, with a welded diff?

Mike

Promai Joe

posted on 20/3/09 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
here we go, sorry Rescued attachment dax multi.jpg
Rescued attachment dax multi.jpg

Hellfire

posted on 20/3/09 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Lights front and rear and indicators. Seats and suitable seatbelt anchorages. Windscreen wipers and demisters if SVA'ing with windscreen on.

Phil

[Edited on 20-3-09 by Hellfire]

Promai Joe

posted on 20/3/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
That was one question, If I choose an aero screen do I need a demister and or wipers still, are you aloud to sva/iva without a windscreen?
westf27

posted on 20/3/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I will start you off

If you keep the screen
wipers
washers
demister

full light set
horn...does it have one
steering wheel is a fail
grille for nosecone

westf27

posted on 20/3/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
bonnet catches look iffy for radius

mirror set

mad-butcher

posted on 20/3/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
as all of above
looks like you need sierra stalks. radius on exhaust

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 20/3/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the mad-house.
Looks like a challenging project and is in a similar (but more finished) condition to my F27 when I bought it.
Your main problem is that in order to qualify for SVA (or IVA which is about to replace SVA) you need to be able to prove it was amateur built.
VOSA/DVLA have tightened up recently in that they require receipts, pictures etc. etc during the build to prove that. So you need to a) ask the vendor for receipts, pics etc before he bins them and book and SVA test double-quick.
If you can't prove amateur build you can still use it as a track-day car.
Most track-day organisers currently only require cars to be in a road-going condition.
What happens when more and more as yet un-finished project cars hit them remains to be seen.

To answer your question the SVA items that spring to mind:
1) Take the windscreen off otherwise you'll need wipers and a demister.
2) Exhaust tail-pipe radius.

There's lots of SVA pointers on here so do some searching under the SVA heading.

We did our first track-day last weekend and it was awesome. You really don't need a road-legal car to have bags of fun.

HTH
Cheers, Pewe

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
With regards to amature build status you could always ask on the DAX forum for a copy of someone eles build photos.... and say you bought it part built - which essentially you have..its just more built than most!

Even if you cant prove its amature built, it just means you have a harder SVA to pass - I dont know what is different though sorry.

It shouldn't be too much harder to SVA than normal, unless there are some big issues under the skin, for example the fuel line needs to be marked as proper fuel line, needs to be secured at regular intivals along the tunnel etc.

bear in mind the IVA is slightly different than the SVA, but the biggest difference for a pinto engined car (as apposed to a bike engined car) is the cost!

INDY BIRD

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

first of all i would be more worried about the things i cant see,

ie fuel lines , brake lines wiring etc,

also how do you propose to get this through without build pictures they are very fussy about this now, do you have any,????? and any reciepts for major components of the car ????

then
headlights indicators rear lights etc,

front grill or bars,
new dashboard for radias,
seat belt anchor points????
seats and headrests??
mirrors
i would loose the screen then refit after sva

just for now sure some more will point out,

some engine pics may help too,

good luck though

FEZ1025

posted on 20/3/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't look like there's a speedo either which will be required, the gauges that are in will fail in their current position on the radii min 2.5mm, also the bottom of dash min 38mm. I think you could get round amateur build by stripping back a bit & taking photo's but receipts is another matter.

Alan...

RK

posted on 21/3/09 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
This is my completely acedemic approach from someone with NO FIRSTHAND EXPERIENCE WITH UK LAWS ETC:

Do a search for an SVA manual. Download that, and while you're at it get an IVA manual. Read from the horses mouth as it were. THEN start working, while documenting everything. Take pictures. Get a logbook for the previous work if you can. Keep the guys on here up on what you are doing. I am sure they can help as you go along.

Most important: don't cheap out. It can get costly. You may need to buy new stuff just to get the required receipts.

The worst case scenario is that you have a cool track car from the looks of things!

[Edited on 21/3/09 by RK]

iiyama

posted on 21/3/09 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Can always pop over to here:-

http://forum.daxsportingclub.com/phpBB3/index.php

for a few pointers too......

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

Promai Joe

posted on 21/3/09 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone, I will post some engine pics etc when I have time.

I don't fully understand the 2.5mm radius thing, can any one provide a link to a previous thread. There is so much information on this site I end up getting side tracked and never find what I am looking for.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.