Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 emissions (again)
markyb

posted on 24/8/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
R1 emissions (again)

I have got my SVA retest this Friday but cant seem to get the emissions set up to balance

I had my car tested today on a 4 gas analyser and we cant get the balance right at 2500-3000 revs no matter what way we tweak the power commander mapping

currently HCs are fine at all revs and CO is perfect at idle but when we rev to fast idle we cant get it right - at the exact same time as lambda gets below 1.03 CO goes above .03 so cant get the 2 'green' at the same time

Originally CO at idle was poor as well but once I took the bung out of the AIS rubber pipe to allow it to vent to air it was perfect so was wondering if the AIS pipework may be part of the fast idle issue ?

any help would be much appreciated (taking the car back tomorrow eve to get tested again)

cheers

forgot to say the engine is an 03 RPW

[Edited on 24/8/09 by markyb]

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2760
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 24/8/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Probably no help but i couldn't get any joy out of my 2003r1 with the power commander connected so unplugged it and hey presto it passed without it.
Pdlewis

posted on 24/8/09 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
as above I put a standard r1 map on my power commander and just the the 0 throttle position -10 all the way

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

Wheels244

posted on 24/8/09 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mark

Is it a 5PW ?

I can email you the map mine passed with.
I had to tweek mine with the laptop at the test centre following setup by MNR

Pipercross filter, crappy small exhaust silencer.

Let me know if you want it

markyb

posted on 24/8/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the offer of the map

the guy with the analyser is going to do a bit of research and speak to a few people tomorrow (he is a whizz with all things engine related and has SVA'd numerous cars) so hopefully he will find out where my problem lies

will send a U2U if we have no joy tomorrow

markyb

posted on 24/8/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR
Probably no help but i couldn't get any joy out of my 2003r1 with the power commander connected so unplugged it and hey presto it passed without it.

if only my emissions would be that easy

bassett

posted on 24/8/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I had to go down to about -22 on the PC3. Have you checked the throttle position sensor is as low as you can get it. i reduced the voltage quite a bit so maybe yours has moved. I had a problem with my air temperature sensor it wasnt working as it should so check you have a working orginial. is your exhaust fully sealed our MNR can had all sorts of leaks from the rear silencer so some putty sealed it up. How about some injector cleaner and 99 ron fuel? fresh plugs and fresh oil can also make a difference. Good luck and i know how much of a frustration it is mine failed the first time and took two attempts at a friends mot station with much headscratching between.
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

markyb

posted on 24/8/09 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bassett
I had to go down to about -22 on the PC3. Have you checked the throttle position sensor is as low as you can get it. i reduced the voltage quite a bit so maybe yours has moved. I had a problem with my air temperature sensor it wasnt working as it should so check you have a working orginial. is your exhaust fully sealed our MNR can had all sorts of leaks from the rear silencer so some putty sealed it up. How about some injector cleaner and 99 ron fuel? fresh plugs and fresh oil can also make a difference. Good luck and i know how much of a frustration it is mine failed the first time and took two attempts at a friends mot station with much headscratching between.
Adam

quite a list for me to check although some I can discount - I have been checking daily for air leaks (I know what you mean about the silencer !!!) and the oil and plugs were changed about 100 miles ago

I never thought about the TPS and air temp sensor so will definetely look at them tomorrow - will speak to the mechanic about the ron 99 and injector cleaner as well

RickRick

posted on 25/8/09 at 06:03 AM Reply With Quote
2004 r1 passed with power commander disconnected with a cat supplied by mnr

also it might make a difference i had the exaust wrapped from the headers, right back over the cat

[Edited on 25/8/09 by RickRick]

speed8

posted on 25/8/09 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I can probably dig out my map too from my retest a few weeks ago. It's an 03 R1 map. We had to tweak it a little but it came well within the limits once we did so long as you are bang on 3000 for the fast idle and about 1000-1200 for the idle.
markyb

posted on 25/8/09 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
tonights update - we discovered that the only way to get the emissions anywhere near right was to remove the pipercross airfilter as it was too restrictive (???) so am relying on getting a 'friendly' tester....fingers crossed

We did try RickRick's suggestion of disconnecting the powercommander and running on the standard ecu - this wasnt far off so will use this as my backup

we did consider fitting the normal R1 airbox but time was short and this was the last chance to get the mapping done before the test so will have to roll with what we have got

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.