Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Check out my midi design
mainlandboy

posted on 28/3/04 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Check out my midi design

Hi all,

I have been reading this board for a while now but this is my first post.

I have recently started building a LOCOST, but just for fun, I have also designed a mid-engined car, which I modelled in Pro/e and Rendered in Rhino. I will try posting some images here.

Any feedback (good or bad) is welcomed!

JoelP

posted on 28/3/04 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
comments.

back end is perfect, a nice unusual boxy sort of thing. spoiler, roll bar and arches all fit the look started by the bumnpers.

front end is good too, though i suspect there is potential for the headlights to be improved, and maybe the vent between them too. I really like the bumpers and wheel arches though, plus the wheels look appropriate.

all good IMHO!!

is there a real chassis under the skin or is it just the bodywork that is modelled?

pbura

posted on 28/3/04 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
The low ground clearance makes me wonder about intended use of the car. If it's for the track, I'd lean towards more of a LMP style. If it's for the street, I wonder how it would look with about 4" ground clearance (seems to be about the minimum practical).

As Joel pointed out, your theme is carried out very consistently, and your proportions are good. Don't care much for the boxy look myself, but that's just personal taste.

Super job!

Pete

Pete

violentblue

posted on 28/3/04 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
looks like the love child of a '60's dune buggy and a riced out honda.

a few pics of my other projects

sgraber

posted on 28/3/04 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hey, very nice job! I certainly like some aspects of it. I think the shape is cohesive and well executed. I can absolutely tell that you have spent some time thinking through the project. It has a very agressive sporty look. I keep wondering what it would look like with doors though? Do you have any other versions to show?

Is there a chassis to go with the car? Also, I have to say that my monitor displays the images too dark and I am having a hard time seeing some of the finer points, like ground clearance. How low is it?

All in all very sweet. Excellent job.

How long did this take in Rhino, and how much previous experience do you have in 3D modeling?

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Zexel

posted on 28/3/04 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cool design! I think it needs higher door sills for chassis rigidity.

Marlin

kb58

posted on 28/3/04 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
What's the intended use?

For the track:
I agree - you need higher sills for rigidity... another approach being a large boxed center tunnel. You also need side impact protection.

For street:
The ground clearance is a bit "wishful," expect to get high centered on speed bumps. Something >4" is required. And you still need side-impact protection. Make sure to check your local laws for minimum headlamp height.

What is your expected suspension travel, especially in droop? I ask because if you're in a turn and hit a bump, it looks like the front tires will hit the lower corner of the fenders, since they turn inward.

Also under full bump it looks like the chassis will bottom before the suspension, unless you're going to have <2" of wheel travel, which isn't enough unless it's a hardcore track-only car.

I realize what I've listed above will make the car less sporty looking, but if it isn't practical to drive... what fun is that?

What's the drivetrain going to be?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mainlandboy

posted on 28/3/04 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback

Hi all,

thanks for all the feedback! I'll try and answer your questions here:

No, I didn't model a chassis under the skin yet. I modelled a Locost as well, that has all of the chassis, engine and transmission under the skin (see Forum --> Chat --> Locost related). With this midi, I'm designing it from the outside in, so the chassis will be designed to work with the body shape.

Agreed, the ride height is ridiculously low! I did it more as a visual preference, although it definitely would have to be higher for the street.

I will eventually model some doors (which I intend to be removable) to see what it looks like with them on.

I am a Mechanical Engineer in Vancouver Cananda, and use Pro/E to model test equipment. My friend introduced me to Rhino and taught me how to use it in an afternoon!

It took me about 1 to 2 weeks to model the car, and just a few days to get the rendering how I wanted it.

Thanks again for all the fedback!

Mark.

JoelP

posted on 28/3/04 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
nobody said that a concept car had to be practical! apparently japanese regulations are making boxy cars more popular over there, so maybe they will migrate here with time. I liked the look on hondas new mini van when i saw it on telly.

Alan B

posted on 28/3/04 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Not this POS surely?
We have it here...the Element....

JoelP

posted on 28/3/04 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
similar to that alan, but ya know, each to his own madness!

Alan B

posted on 28/3/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Back on topic.

It's hard to pass comment on people's styling ideas when you've been doing it yourself, and know just how difficult it is...

Anyway....agree about the bumpers.....just a little too big...side opening a little too low.....and the wing is a bit ricey.....all IMO of course.

But, overall I like it..

Alan B

posted on 28/3/04 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
similar to that alan, but ya know, each to his own madness!

Joel, they are very practical, economical etc.....but in the flesh just a bit too much "Postman Pat" for my liking.....

pbura

posted on 28/3/04 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Got to hand it to all you guys who post designs here. Car design is definitely art with a capital "A".

Ever wonder why cars are so entwined with the psyche? How come folks don't get as excited about toasters and garden sheds and so on?

Pete

robinbastd

posted on 28/3/04 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
It is possible to admire toaster design! Please note I said admire and not rave about.
http://www.dualit.com/content.asp?page=/catalogue/productRange.asp?categoryCode=15
Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

pbura

posted on 28/3/04 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Good one!

The sandwich cage, then, would be the equivalent of a Seven.

...or a Yugo

Pete

derf

posted on 29/3/04 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that it is possible to design a chassis like that. Do a google search for FSAE (or Formula SAE) you will see some fairly radical designs. I did a quickie MSpaint to show my idea of how his body design might work.

The center section is a traditional locost trans tunnel with extra bracing, but the side bracing is where I made changes.

Image deleted by owner

I am in no way an engineer or have any Idea how to use any 3d modeling software, this is just my thought on how it might work.

derf

posted on 29/3/04 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yeh pretty neat design, I liked it when I saw it, but the majority of the boxy cars that pop up are ugly, Take the element or the Scion (Toyota) Xa

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.