Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: T5 gearbox clutch parts help required
jimmyjoebob

posted on 2/10/09 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
T5 gearbox clutch parts help required

When using a T5 Borg warner box behind a Rover V8 (in my case in a Scimitar)should a standard rover release arm, pivot and actuating rod be used or are there T5 specific versions?

I have tried the alternative TVR parts list but nothing is mentioned for the above parts.

I am using a 7/8" slave cylinder, a 3/4" master cyl and standard scimitar clutch pedal to activate it all but can't get the clutch to release enough to allow gear selection. When using an LT77 gearbox in a Scimitar the pedal doesn't need to be modified.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

flibble

posted on 2/10/09 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I know nothing of the parts you're talking about but do you have to space the whole release mechanism forwards at all (I had to for my engine gearbox combo) or is it supposed to be a straight fit?
snapper

posted on 2/10/09 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
You may well need to space out the release bearing, in the Robin Hood world the 2b superspec had an MT75 matted to a 2.0l or 20L turbo Rover engine and that required the release bearing spacing closer to the clutch cover.
Burton performance do concentric hydraulic release mechanisms with spacable release bearings, perhaps a longer rod would do it

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

ss1turbo

posted on 2/10/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'd guess with the base line position being the issue - based on a "tweak" I saw many years ago, can the pivot bolt be extended?
If the pushrod is removed from the slave end, can the fork be moved closer to actually touch the cover fingers? If so, the pushrod is too long.
If the above is OK, then you've not got enough throw (assuming the clutch cover is actually OK) - which given you're using standard Scimitar parts means changing the lever point somehow.

Long live RWD...

repper

posted on 2/10/09 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
ive just had the same dilemer with my car i got all my bits from the lads at TVR power very help full and are well clued up on the V8 motors
http://www.tvrpower.co.uk/ i got bell houseing and all the interals i needed
jim

jimmyjoebob

posted on 18/1/10 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
As a follow up to this, thanks for the link to tvr power.

The spigot bearing bush i had fitted was made from the wrong material and had seized onto the input shaft! I had a hell of a job getting the gearbox out as the bush fianlly came out of the carrier. New parts ordered from TVR power who are very helpful.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.