Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tack Welding Chassis
Cheffy

posted on 11/8/02 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Tack Welding Chassis

I've just started tack welding the bottom chassis rails. Where three or more rails meet(ie the joint at A1,B2,D1,H)isn't it necessary to fully weld the parts of the joint that will be inaccesible once other rails are tacked.
For example: after tacking A1 and B2, if you tack D1 in place will you still get a satisfactory weld on the outside of A1/B2

Hope this makes sense

Mart

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Metal Hippy™

posted on 12/8/02 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
I see what you're getting at.

So long as you're happy with the position of all the bottom rails, all square etc, I don't see why not.

I've not got to that stage yet myself, but I can't see it'd do any harm at all.

Guys?

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

Jasper

posted on 12/8/02 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I just tacked it all up until I finished the chassis and then squeezed the weld in place later....Feels real solid to me. Just rememeber it's lots more of a bitch to cut full welds. I bolted all my bottom rails down with small wooden blocks to keep it flat and square...
jbmcsorley

posted on 12/8/02 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I used pipe clamps routed through holes that I drilled in the work table... keeps everything really flat.

However... looking back... I recommend:

- tack welding around the perimeter of the bottom rail layout
- fully weld only the top seam where H will sit a top the junction of A/B/D... let it cool
- flip the whole thing over, clamp it down, and fully weld the opposite seam... let it cool
- grind flat the full welds
- keep tack welding

In short, only fully weld what you must, and always counter-weld to keep things balanced.

cheers,
-Jim M.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phil

posted on 14/8/02 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yes jims right , dont fully weld unless it is firmly held in a jig, once i marked out my plyboard sheet i cut 3" lengths of angle iron and screwed them to the lines to stop the frame moving. Also try the magnetic welders clamps, quite good..
good look phil....

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.