Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking of building an Indy R
Donboy_s14

posted on 6/10/09 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking of building an Indy R

Hi Guys
I have now got to the point where I have no money but all i can think about is building an Indy R with a bike engine. I have just got a new house with a big empty garage and its driving me mad knowing that i could build my kit in there. Im going to speak to Mr bank manager and get a loan to buy the kit.

The questions i have are as follows.
Should I pay the extra and go for a Busa Engine?
What extra costs are there if fitting a busa engine other than the cost of the engine?
Should i save myself the hastle and buy one of piston heads ready built? ( I would rather build myself but have limited tools and knowlege) Hope you can give me some advice,

Cheers Don

Steve Hignett

posted on 6/10/09 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Build it yourself if you want to build a car - Buy one ready built if you don't want to waste money...

Dangle_kt

posted on 6/10/09 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Building a car can be a long and twisty road, through all sorts of highs and lows. You need to be sure that you want to build first, and know you won't be driving for a significant period of time.

Busa will need dry sumping if you want to protect your investmet, also you'll need reverse if you want to road register.

To build a good spec busa build you are looking at serios money

zilspeed

posted on 6/10/09 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
You won't see your money back on a new build.
If you buy a ready built, someone else has already taken the hit.

If you're cunning enough to scratch build your own car and womble the bits together, you can save a fortune.

With your new house, are you really sure that you want to go and get a loan to build an MK ?

This is not a political broadcast, but things are about to get interesting and the interest rate really could go berserk again as Crazy Dave and his chums try to milk some money out of us when they get in again next year.

Interest rates have never been as low as they are now and the only way is up.

Buy some cheap fun.
You'll enjoy it just as much as a mega spec Busa car.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/10/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
womble the bits together,

I think thats my favourite verb ever

Nash

posted on 6/10/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ask yourself a simple question:

Do I want to drive the MK or do I want to build the MK?

You say all I can think about is building an MK Indy R, do you mean build or do you mean drive?

decide that and either buy built or buy kit.

Simples!

.............Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

Donboy_s14

posted on 6/10/09 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I think i will enjoy the building part as much as the driving so would rather build than buy. Is there alot of difference in cost from the R1 setup compared to the busa?
Dangle_kt

posted on 6/10/09 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
yes donboy, big difference.

Busa engines are £2k +, r1 can be had for between £500 and £1k depending on age etc.

Then the busa needs to be dry sumped - I think (though I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon) will be the best part of £1k

The r1 can be ran with a baffle plate unless you plan on trackdays and slick tyres. baffle plates are under £100. (my fireblade one was £40ish)

So straight away you are looking at much more cash - plus generally speaking, if you spending on a busa you want to splash out elsewhere too - its all the shiny stuff that costs.

Have you actually been out in a BEC to see the performance? Even my 893cc 1994 engined locost is quick compared to much else on the road - do you need a busa?

lewis

posted on 6/10/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
get hold of a donor car and start stripping that down overhauling the bits this will take you a bit of time and gives you a chance to save a bit of money, im getting together all the parts before i order the kit so i can get on with the build, not saying this is the right way but its the way i think is better
Donboy_s14

posted on 6/10/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have been out in a westfield megablade and loved the sound and that was quick enough for what i would use it for. I was going to go for the 2003 onwards R1 engine but spoke to a guy from yorkshire engines who put the idea in my head of going for a busa. I think the busa will be to expensive so will prob end up going down the R1 line.

[Edited on 6/10/09 by Donboy_s14]

widz

posted on 6/10/09 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
if you are going bec only one choice busa loads of torque i have done 2200 miles in my supercharged busa dax no drysump kit only a baffle plate fill with oil above the glass running approx 250bhp at rear wheels no probs
progers

posted on 8/10/09 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by widz
if you are going bec only one choice busa loads of torque i have done 2200 miles in my supercharged busa dax no drysump kit only a baffle plate fill with oil above the glass running approx 250bhp at rear wheels no probs

I'm sure a supercharged Busa is great, but to say a Busa is the only way to go is B*ll*cks. Especially if you are on a budget. In standard tune a ZX12 is just as fast and any R1/blade is still a very fast, fun experience.

If you are on a budget the R1 is a good way to go, I think Malc at Yorkshire engines has his own motives to try and flog you a Busa If you crave more power, the ZX12r is a more cost effective route than Busa as a good engine can be had for £1500.

- Paul

franky

posted on 8/10/09 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Second that..... a zx12 is more than a match for a busa. with head work they make nearly 200bhp without turbos etc. Budget at least £1500 or more for a good motor complete. A lot of guys are racing with the 12 motor now as busa's aren't worth the extra cash. A 12 engine revs quicker too.

You do have to look at the cost though... my car came with a 9r lump and full system(unfinished project). I decided I wanted more umph..... its been an expensive decision After selling the 9r lump and bits its still going to end up being a chunk more. But worth it in the end.

Have you thought about a 9r lump.... same power as r1's upto around 2004. Cheap too.

RK

posted on 8/10/09 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
No money will never equal a good car.

I believe this to be hard fact, and no matter what anybody says, it will cost more than you envisage, especially if you want BEC. If you accept this, there are a lot of choices. If you don't accept this, you will be continually frustrated.

scootz

posted on 2/12/09 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Have to go with Widz on this one...

When I was going down the BEC route with my old Caterham I asked every engine supplier (and I do mean EVERY one of them) what standard engine was the best - they all (and I do mean EVERY one of them) said Busa was the best in standard guise!

I'm sure it's degrees of difference, but there must be a reason why they all recommended the Zookie lump and a reason why it remains that bit more expensive.

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.