Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: rover V8 inlet manifold direction.
Paul (Notts)

posted on 15/11/09 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
rover V8 inlet manifold direction.

Quick question –

Rover V8 --- Can I fit the inlet manifold the opposite way round. With the water outlet and thermostat at the gearbox end not the front end of the car.

Not had chance to see if it would work yet but would solve one or two problems.

Paul

r1_pete

posted on 15/11/09 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
No reason why not the heads are identical, so you wouldn't be interrupting or diverting any coolant flow.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Canada EH!

posted on 15/11/09 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
What about the distributor, does it not go through the manifold?
Paul (Notts)

posted on 15/11/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Dizzy not a problem. If the ports line up then the only issue I can see is water flow.

instead of picking up water from the front of the block the heads will get water from the rear of the block.

cant see why this would be an issue.

Paul

craig1410

posted on 15/11/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
My gut-feel is that this will not be possible for one reason or another. I have read a lot of books on the RV8 and have never heard of this being done. I would also expect that the water passages between heads and manifold would be different sizes to try to maintain even flow from block through heads to manifold. What I mean is that the water pump is at the front so I would expect the passages at the front to be smaller to try to force some coolant to flow towards the back of the block rather than taking the path of least resistance.

Sorry I can't give you more than a gut-feel reaction but I'd put your chances at 20% or less. Happy to be proved wrong of course...

Craig.

Andy S

posted on 15/11/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
You will very likely boil the heads.

The water flow on the RV8 is in through the front cover into the cylinder block - it then runs from front to back - it then goes up into the head through the water passage at the back of the block - it then runs through the heads from the back to the front and then out into the manifold- there is a port at the back of the manifold for the heater and the main cooling flow to the rad.

If you turn the manifold around - not sure if you could physically - never tried it - then the flow would be along the block up into the head at the back and then out - no cooling flow to the heads - Instant boil up.

Andrew

mike lotus

posted on 15/11/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
v8 heads direction

I don't think you can change them round as the water flow would be all wrong.
I will have a look at the two engines i've got and let you know.

Cheers

Mike

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.