Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vx engines?
daniel mason

posted on 23/11/09 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
vx engines?

following on from my post on the weekend i have found several vx220's in my price range and was wondering which is the best model to go for. 2.2 n/a or 2.0 turbo?
am i right in thinking the turbo is a heavier block than the 2.2? and was wondering which is the stronger motor.
obviously the turbo is more powerful but which delivers power in the best way to suit the car? and what are potential problems? thanks.
insurance is only around £150 more for the turbo so not much of a problem.
another point is what about pannel damaged cat d's which have been repaired? are they to be avoided at all cost or is it something to conisder?

DRC INDY 7

posted on 23/11/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
The 2.2 drives ok gives it some go go but not sure on the turbo version never driven one

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

001Ben

posted on 23/11/09 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I remember reading a review a few years ago that said the 2.0 turbo was the better engine to go for, can't remember why though. Its the same engine that is in the gsi and its the engine i would choose out of the two.
mike lotus

posted on 23/11/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
VX engine

If it was me i'd go for the 2.0 Turbo engine.

The 2.2 engines suffer from cam chain tensioner issues due to oil problems.

If it jumps which it does regularly without warning it wipes the cylinder head out.

Just have a look on e bay to see how many 2.2 vectra's / signums are for sale with knackered engines.

Cheers

Mike

Fozzie

posted on 23/11/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
The VX220 Turbo has the Z20LET engine.....0-60 in 4.7

They can be a bit of a beast to handle ....

Very very pleased with our 'tubby'.....

Go to www.vx220.org.uk and have a browse. Loads of info on there....

HTH Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

repper

posted on 23/11/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
ive run a zafira gsi i got it when it was about 6 mouths old its now done about 40k i have played with it a bit so its about 250bhp at the mo but iam geting a lighted flywheel and alloy crank pully soon so it my make a bit moor as a day to day car its spot on cant fault it in any way very good engine pulls like a train vary reliabull and esay to maintain and will tuch 155mph on the clock but i do only get 21mpg round town 200miles to a tank you can get 35mpg at a stedy 55mph but how wants go that slow not me you may gret moor mpg from the vx220 as its not shaped like a brick but it will still like a drink all tuned vauxhalls do but well worth it go for.

Toltec

posted on 23/11/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Of course if you get the 2.2 you can always supercharge it when you feel you need more power.

I have been looking at them again too, but I need to sell the TVR first.

Liam

posted on 23/11/09 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Everything I've ever heard suggests the VX220 chasis is fantastic and literally crying out for power to play with, and that the turbo engine is therefore a brilliant match for it.

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fozzie

posted on 23/11/09 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
There are a couple of pictures of our Tubby in my photo archive in a folder called 'New Toy'.

They were taken 3 and a half years a go when we bought it.

It does have a body coloured hard top, but is shown with its soft top on.

We have taken the Griffyn badge off the back, but otherwise. it's not de-badged/de-veed.

On our trip to the highlands we got around 40mpg, and around town around 30-33, but if you have a bit of a lead foot, you will get less...

Fozzie

mediabloke

posted on 23/11/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from the turbo, the LET and 2.2 are both related to the other low-comp ecotec units. Both are supposed to be fairly torquey though - just depends whether you want low-down grunt or wayy-hayy-madness!

I'd have the turbo if I could find a good one for reasonable money, but I'd probably get a 2.2 as the sensible choice for a daily driver.

daniel mason

posted on 23/11/09 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for thr replies. i am sure i read that the 2.0 was a cast iron block with the 2.2 being alluminium alloy. and with the turbo it was 60 kgs heavier.
i would imagine that the extra power fron the turbo will more than make up for 60 kgs but i wondered how it would affect the handling balance?

Fozzie

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
There is quite a bit of power difference.....go on the vx220 site and have a read/sign up, I think there is a section for prospective buyers.

You never know there maybe some owners near you who may give you a ride and then you can decide whether the 2.2 (n/a) or the Tubby (Turbo) suits you.

The 2.2 (n/a) is older than the Tubby and is cheaper ......

Fozzie

daniel mason

posted on 23/11/09 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the advice. i have been looking on the site for a while now. am not sure if i can afford a turbo'd one though.am going to have around £9.5 k

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.