Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bec chain diff how to
aitch

posted on 22/12/09 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
bec chain diff how to

i see a few people have done this themselves and that there are diffs you can buy but hardly low cost

im thinking of a sierra lsd chain drive has anyone got a how to section with pleanty of pics, loads of searches still havent found out how to do this

aitch

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
m8kwr

posted on 22/12/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have got one, but i brought mine from westgarage, see link below for photos.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=126523

The one i have has a reverse attached, so unsure if you wanted one for road or track, if road then it would need a reverse to pass the iva.

You aren't that far away from me, more then welcome to pop along and have a look at it. But as you said it is not a low cost option.

An option i had thought of was to mount the bike engine like it would be in a 7, then use an adapter, prop-shaft to a normal lsd, then you have no conversion etc, but i am unsure if this is a suitable route, and i have not read of anyone else doing this.

[Edited on 22/12/09 by m8kwr]

nick205

posted on 22/12/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure the ones I've seen have used the diff internals from a FWD transmission - Fiesta maybe? Mounted in some form of carrier frame.
trikerneil

posted on 22/12/09 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
You may find some useful info HERE, HERE or even HERE.

HTH

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
aitch

posted on 22/12/09 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
thanks to all
i dont have a lathe so its finding someone to do the work for me or buying

and i will need a reverse gear as will be just for road use

aitch

p.s. whe you look at the work involved the westfield units dont look that expensive, they dont seem to list with a reverse option though ??

[Edited on 22/12/09 by aitch]

russbost

posted on 22/12/09 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
You'll find a pic or 2 in my archive.

TBH I think you will be surprised at how the bits add up. By the time you've had a reverse gear & some spacers (to clear the chain) machined, & some bearing carriers. Bought some bearings & had all the other bits & pieces laser cut. Then you need a can which needs to be machined from a big chunk of ali + it needs a sealing cap machined to fit I'll be surprised if you've got much change from £500

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
T66

posted on 23/12/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
I picked up a chain drive quaife diff/sprocket & pot joints for £350

I still need to resolve the reverse job which will add at least £120 on for a new starter, plus flywheel which will need machined to fit on the diff.

Without a lathe or friend with a lathe to remove those costs, like the previous post said the costs soon add up.

I anticipate spending £600-£650 to include the reverse gear /related machine work to bolt together.

I have still to corner my mate with a lathe to sweetheart him...

aitch

posted on 23/12/09 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
thanks again all
unless i come accross a friend with lathe looks like its another item ill buy off the shelf

aitch

m8kwr

posted on 24/12/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Speak to Doug @ westgarage, minitici on here.

He would be able to sort you out.

If you wanted to see my unit from him, i am in stafford, not a million miles away from you.

Good luck with what ever route you take.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.