Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gear Knob with switch
bodger

posted on 18/1/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Gear Knob with switch

I'd like to get hold of a gear knob with 1 or 2 push button momentary action switches in it. CBS do one but the switches are latching. I want to use it to operate the electric reverse. If it had 2 switches I could wire it so that both had to be pressed at the same time with the engine in neutral to operate the reverse motor. Does anywhere do one or is it possible to replace the switches in the CBS knob? I emailed CBS but didn't get much of an answer.

CBS Knob Switch
CBS Knob Switch

Miks15

posted on 18/1/10 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
What about one of those where you have to flick the top of the gearknob up to reveal the switch underneath it? Thatll be nice and safe
coozer

posted on 18/1/10 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I made one for somebody's bec with a reverse box (I think). This kind of thing any good? Rescued attachment Switch Knob.jpg
Rescued attachment Switch Knob.jpg

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

iank

posted on 18/1/10 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Two possibles (don't know about the CBS one, but it seems to come apart using the allen key so it might be replaceable)

The freelander gear knob comes with a switch (for hill descent control)
see here for a rather used one

or as Miks15 suggests
This chav Jimmy Bond one

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

iank

posted on 18/1/10 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I made one for somebody's bec with a reverse box (I think). This kind of thing any good?

Ignore my post, give coozer some beer money

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

splitrivet

posted on 18/1/10 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Just remove the latching mechanism (normally a bent at right angle bit of spring steel inside the switch) did this to make a start button out of a Maplin switch.
Coozers looks super cool though
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 18/1/10 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

blakep82

posted on 18/1/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
can't see the need for 2 switches being used. get one from steve, and just make sure the car's neutral switch is used so it'll only work in neutral.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Angel Acevedo

posted on 19/1/10 at 04:45 AM Reply With Quote
Airplane yoke handle

Have you checked Aircraftspruce.com??
They have several Yoke handles....

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scudderfish

posted on 19/1/10 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I made one for somebody's bec with a reverse box (I think). This kind of thing any good?

How can you wire it so that you can't accidentally engage starter motor/reverse when you don't want to? Whilst the ebay one is hideous, it does have a switch cover.

bodger

posted on 19/1/10 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

can't see the need for 2 switches being used. get one from steve, and just make sure the car's neutral switch is used so it'll only work in neutral.

quote:

How can you wire it so that you can't accidentally engage starter motor/reverse when you don't want to? Whilst the ebay one is hideous, it does have a switch cover.

Well I fly 737's for a living & on the flight deck Boeing have some functions that can only be operated by throwing two switches together. They are wired in series. If one switch became faulty & short circuited you would still be protected from inadvertent operation by the other switch. Simple really. The thing is with a bec reverse it's on the wrong side of the clutch plate & within about 6 inches of my arse! I wouldn't want any chance of that thing engaging when it's not supposed to.

Anyway I do like Coozer's bit of handywork so I might use that and an arming switch on the dash. Thanks for the replies.

iank

posted on 19/1/10 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:

Wire it so it only operates when the gearbox is in neutral.

--
Anonymous

scudderfish

posted on 19/1/10 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
Wire it so it only operates when the gearbox is in neutral.

No neutral indicator on an LT77 gearbox

Probably I could do something with the charge indicator from the alternator and a relay so that when the engine is running (or rather the alternator is), the switch would do nothing.

[Edited on 19/1/10 by scudderfish]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 19/1/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch Switch

Does your car uses a Clutch Switch?
If so, you could use it to allow the operation of reverse

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.