Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: mk indy top speed
garysenter

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
mk indy top speed

i appreciate there are alot of engine variants .....and gearing can affect top speed etc.....but what kind of top speeds do you guys get from your mk indy's....i had mine flat out today ....2.0 litre zetec with omex engine management.....156 bhp at the wheels and i am told about a 30 percent power loss from flywheel which should equate to about 200bhp in total......to be honest i was a little dissapointed.....she is pretty quick off the mark....maybe its cos everything is so stiff she does not feel that fast if you know what i mean...alot more composed than normal cars on the road i guess...so come on guys lets hear from those of you who have had your cars flat out and then i will tell you what mine did....guess i am worried mine is a bit slow. didnt seem to wanna get over about 5000rpm despite having a red line of 7200 !!!....aerodynamics obviously playing a big part in her limited top speed
coozer

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
So, what was your flat out speed?

Mine revs out ok when accelerating but as said aerodynamics comes in and I run out around 120mhp. Gearing would see me 148mph @ red line.

However I think 110 is fast enough, there s no way I want to go 150! If I do I'll get myself a bike!

[Edited on 6/6/10 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Guinness

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
ZZR1100 Indy with 13" tyres and a 3.62 diff is geared to reach 127 mph in 6th and she'll hit that easily.

Aero becomes a bit interesting with the steering going noticably light at that sort of speed, especially since I fitted the rear diffuser.

Mike

big_wasa

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought you would have toped out at about 120~125 mph ?
garysenter

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
i got to 110mph.....if she had anything left it wasnt alot more....
Stuart_B

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, i have a 1.6 pinto i had mine at 110 and then i back down, only had the car on the road a few weeks.

Stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

franky

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
with the aero problems of a '7' style car its torque that will help it go faster. What will a r300/500 do flat out?
nick205

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
2.0 Pinto ~115bhp (flywheel), 600kg, 3.62:1 diff, 195/50R15 tyres saw about 110 flat out.

TBH it's unpleasant at that sort of speed being so exposed - I wouldn't have wanted any more.

IMO it's ALL about the acceleration and handling on slower twisty roads/tracks. That's where I found my driving pleasure, not on the motorway.

widz

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
supercharged busa dax 145mph and still pulling steering starts to become a bit light
garysenter

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
yeah i agree ....the acceleration is pretty good....about 200bhp and 500kg....i guess i was expecting about 120 to 130 top end....but yeah windy as hell lol....had a 3 litre z4 playing today and left him for dead so i know she is pretty quick anyway.....sierra gearbox so i guess we all limited by our top gear ratio to a point....those of us with ford donor parts anyway
austin man

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
go out with a sat nav it will give you a better indication, 125 is achievable I think the top is around 134

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

franky

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a bit of a google, seems a r500 will do 150mph so at a guess you'd need 260+ bhp with the correct gearing to get that. you'd prob need another 40 bhp to do another 10-15mph over that though.
garysenter

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
thats a good idea....will take my sat nav cos for all i know the digi dash thing not even calibrated correctly...i read the manual and it mentions putting in wheel circumference etc......so now you mention it maybe a sat nav a better option....could do 70 mph and see if sat nav confirms my dash speed
mookaloid

posted on 6/6/10 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
I saw 135 on the speedo (on track) in my indy with similar power to your zetec. There was some left but the corner was fast approaching......

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

INDY BIRD

posted on 6/6/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
147mph in my dax and does it with ease,

scary upto 120mph just gets there without letting up, but im running 280 bhp so it keeps pulling the zx12 would pull to and the std black bird to 128 mph,

the zx10r turbo would pull to 133 and get there super quick but needed more gearing it would go more,

if i had a 314 in the dax it would pull past 150 mph im sure, just some idea,

you do need big power on a 7 rep to get past 140 i would say,

cheers

tomgregory2000

posted on 6/6/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
i Wonder if mine will do 150mph

with 321bhp and 340 ft/lbs of torque

franky

posted on 6/6/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I'd put 50p on it doing it

If a r500 can do it with 260bhp and you've got a shed load more torque.

ashg

posted on 6/6/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
my 1600pinto will do 110 down a very long straight but that is where its all done and dusted.

im taking it to northwield soon which will be the longest straight it has been on. it will either do more than 110 or i will blow it up trying

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Madinventions

posted on 6/6/10 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
My 1.7 Puma VCT engine giving around 125bhp easily got me to 116mph at the end of the straight at Snetterton. I'd be able to go a bit faster still if I sorted out the handling and was a bit more confident! Plenty of revs left...

Had 109mph (indicated) with the previous engine - 1.25 Zetec S giving out 75bhp. Took a while to get there though...

Mojo build diary: http://www.madinventions.co.uk

Solo music project: Syrrenfor http://www.reverbnation.com/syrrenfor

View my band website:
http://www.shadowlight.org.uk

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk/

bi22le

posted on 6/6/10 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
i hit 120 often when driving my k4 gsxr mac1. The striker has hit 110 a couple of times but actually seems slower than the bec bt high speeds. May be an aero thing

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

skippad

posted on 6/6/10 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I got 135mph out of my 190bhp MK 1400zzr with 3.14 and it was still pulling but backed off as steering was getting a bit light...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chippy

posted on 6/6/10 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
140 mph and then the rev limiter stops me going any faster, thats with a 3.62 LSD, but I have a 3.14 to fit, (when I get around to it), and that should see 160, (maybe), at the same rev's. The one thing it should do is give me better economy, Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

Hellfire

posted on 6/6/10 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Its not made for speed... its shape is a big giveaway!

Having said that - 132mph+. Or about 114mph over 1/4 mile. At 120+ things get a bit scary as the front goes light and she starts to wonder a bit...

If you want to go fast, get a bike or more aerodynamic car. Its not how fast she goes its how fast she gets there!

I do have transport to 120mph in about 8 seconds. Its got two X's in it!!

Steve

[Edited on 7-6-10 by Hellfire]

projectmkindy

posted on 6/6/10 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
120 on the limiter indy blade 3.62 lsd . IMO brilliant gearing for the blade enigne

MK indy blade

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 7/6/10 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V70i2KJOtZ0

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.