Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: reccomend a battery
Miks15

posted on 19/8/10 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
reccomend a battery

I need a battery for my car. Going in a 1.6 CEC. Cant be as big as normal tintop batteries. But dont want it running flat on me.

anyone any recomendations?

Cheers

deezee

posted on 19/8/10 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Whats your car running? Does it have wipers, fan heater, stereo, running lights, fuel injection etc etc. Or is it just a carbed engine in a basic car?

franky

posted on 19/8/10 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
odyssey(sp?) pc680, has no problem at all with my 3.0 engine, turned it over for about 3 days when I was trying to get my oil pressure up!
Miks15

posted on 19/8/10 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
carbed engine basic car with just the essentials.

Where did you get your odyssey franky?

and how much?

Cheers

britishtrident

posted on 19/8/10 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Small japanese car battery --- standard UK type ref number is type 054 or type 055

spec varies a bit
size is 180 x 127 x 223
36 to 43 amp hours
280 to 330 amps cold cranking.
I would recommend buying a Varta battery

For this and other battery specs Google Tanya Batteries --- they do a good mail order deal

franky

posted on 19/8/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
carbed engine basic car with just the essentials.

Where did you get your odyssey franky?

and how much?

Cheers

It was £70 off ebay new, it was a bargin price but normally about £90ish. Have a google of power vamp racing, they sell them rebranded but for less cash.

deezee

posted on 19/8/10 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I have an Odyssey 545 that I got for £50 off eBay. It runs my Carbed 2.0 RS2000 engine. Its 135 x 180 x 80 dinky little thing, but does the job.

bimbleuk

posted on 19/8/10 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I used BMW/Hayabusa 19Ah batteries (YUASA brand) on my CEC Striker. Actually only two in the 6+ years I owned the car.

I'm using a PC680 on a LS1 5.7 V8 and it's fine for my car as it's not used daily or left outside. Otherwise I would have fitted a 900+ rated one.

coozer

posted on 19/8/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
Redtop 25 on my zetec, has run no problem now for nearly 4 years.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Bluemoon

posted on 19/8/10 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'd second britishtrident... Depends if you want light weight if so go for a smaller non-standard one, personally I'd go for a normal car battery.. This has already saved my bacon when the alternator packed up (mounting broke on the M40, didn't hear it nor could I see the battery warning light in the sunshine. Must have done around 30miles (on M40) like it with the dipped beam headlights on as well!)....

Dan

[Edited on 19/8/10 by Bluemoon]

[Edited on 19/8/10 by Bluemoon]

RazMan

posted on 19/8/10 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
The Odyssey Battery would be my choice - really light, good value for money, you can mount it any side up and it cranks over V8s with ease

Tiny Odyssey battery
Tiny Odyssey battery

[Edited on 19-8-10 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
perksy

posted on 19/8/10 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
odyssey PC 680

Plenty of cranking Amps and very light aswell

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 19/8/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
The Odyssey Battery would be my choice - really light, good value for money, you can mount it any side up and it cranks over V8s with ease

Tiny Odyssey battery
Tiny Odyssey battery

[Edited on 19-8-10 by RazMan]

Batteries go upright and that's that......
Dont believe the sales c**p as thy just want to sell you more battery's....

We changed about 1200 (yes 1200) that were on their sides....lasting 3 years max...install changed to upright position and 7 years on they are in better condition siemens wise than when I installed them. At a hundred quid a pop do the maths
The guy in charge had the sales manger of a large battery supply firm as his adviser... go figure.

[Edited on 19-8-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]

bimbleuk

posted on 20/8/10 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
I'd second britishtrident... Depends if you want light weight if so go for a smaller non-standard one, personally I'd go for a normal car battery.. This has already saved my bacon when the alternator packed up (mounting broke on the M40, didn't hear it nor could I see the battery warning light in the sunshine. Must have done around 30miles (on M40) like it with the dipped beam headlights on as well!)....

Dan

I drove from Cirencester to Shakespear County Raceway and back on my 19Ah bike battery when I forgot to connect the charge cable! That was just under 100 miles and it ran out of charge just as I neared my house. Probably would have made it too but the OMEX ECU turns off at a low voltage.

[Edited on 20-8-10 by bimbleuk]

Bluemoon

posted on 20/8/10 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bimbleuk
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon

Dan

I drove from Cirencester to Shakespear County Raceway and back on my 19Ah bike battery when I forgot to connect the charge cable! That was just under 100 miles and it ran out of charge just as I neared my house. Probably would have made it too but the OMEX ECU turns off at a low voltage.

[Edited on 20-8-10 by bimbleuk]

Bet you didn't have the headlamps on

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.