Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: indy r spring rates
dan__wright

posted on 11/9/10 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
indy r spring rates

i currently have the MK supplied spring on my Indy R and its very over spring, im looking at changed them for something a bit more suitable (mainly fronts for now)

what rates do people run with success?

it has an 07 zx10r, weights in around 480kg

[Edited on 11/9/10 by dan__wright]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

A1

posted on 11/9/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
what damper settings do you have? and tyre pressures?
If you sort these you can get it really spot on.

dan__wright

posted on 11/9/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
tyres are about 16 psi iirc.

dampers are 5 clicks from minimum.
i will be taking the car up to matt at procomp at some point soon but want to get the springs closer otherwise springs / height will need re-adjusting.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

A1

posted on 11/9/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
try 3 clicks from minimum. i cant quite remember the rate of them, but i think 275 rings a bell
dan__wright

posted on 11/9/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
ok will do, front and back?

also, were those rates for an indy or an indy r? the indy r is rocker push rod so there are rocker ratios to consider.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

jack_t

posted on 11/9/10 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
try upping the tyre pressures to 20 psi and turn the knobs fully clockwise
then 8 clicks back ( anticlockwise)

A1

posted on 11/9/10 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
those rates were for the indy r.
ive got the backs at about 4-5 clicks clockwise due to the extra weight.
fronts are at 3.
cant remember what my tyres are at, but i think its about 1.6bar for the front and 1.45 at the rear, im probably going to swap that though.

just had a thought, are the spring seats fully unwound?

[Edited on 12/9/10 by A1]

procomp

posted on 13/9/10 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

It appears that some have got the wrong idea about what the dampers are like that are fitted to the Mk Indy's. You can not take the clicks/settings from one car and recommend them as being right for another persons car. The dampers used by MK are just standard off the shelf items meaning that person A. will have a set of valving giving X poundage at any given click and person B. will have poundage's varying by as much as 40-80Lb on bump and 80-140Lb on rebound for the same number of clicks as person A.
What this leads to is people believing that if the settings say 3 front and 5 rear worked on one car then they should work on there car. Where as in actual fact the setting could well be so far out to be of any use at all. It simply means that people are then chasing there tails trying to sort out the handling.
There is of course the other factors of balancing the dampers in pairs and getting the valving right for the application. But that's further down the road if taking the handling a bit more seriously.

It just needs to be kept in mind that what works on one car will not necessarily be any where near right for another car even if the build is pretty near identical.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bonesetter

posted on 13/9/10 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Although I had my Gaz dampers dyno'd at Procomp a nominal setting was set and following this, road/track testing was done to finally dial in what was best.

Altering up or down 3 clicks was very noticeable, and made click setting quite easy.

This is not to negate dyno testing as this will identify any imbalance.

A seemingly crude, but surprisingly effective way of getting in the ball park is to stand on a corner of the rear, or on top of the front end (remove the nose cone if necessary) and bounce

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.