Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyones kids do Karting
grassracer

posted on 17/11/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Anyones kids do Karting

Just a tenuous enquiry, we have a kart club a couple of miles from us that are offering kids intro karting sessions for a fiver a go etc, to tempt you in.
I'm sort of curious really if I'm honest and have two lads the right age to have a go (of course they are keen!!) I don't mind letting them try it out but I'm more concerned about if they have a definite interest after that.
You hear all sorts of horror stories about costs etc but what is the reality of the implications of them racing at local club meetings etc does anyone have any experiences etc.....SWMBO is not keen due to these stories!
I'm a realist, they won't be the next Lewis Hamilton but I have a genuine interest in club level motorsport and I don't think something similar would do them any harm at all.
I know I can ask advice when I'm there but by then it may be too late
Your views are welcome.......do I bite the bullet and take them??

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MkII

posted on 17/11/10 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
If your talking abou rowrah I take my daughter there she seems realy keen on karting and thoughly enjoys it. if you think your lads would enjoy it take them along theres no pressure to get more involved than the "lets gokarting" sesions and as its only a fiver for 10 mins what harm can it do.we'll be there saturday maybe we,ll see you there.
.m.

phoenix70

posted on 17/11/10 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I know a little bit about karting from when I used to race, and you really do have to have a resonable sized wallet to take part. The initial equipment is quite expensive, but at least it's a one off cost (barring accidents). The running cost can quickly mount up. You'll probably need a new set of tyres for each meeting you attend (and possible wet's as well) so that about £150ish plus you entry fee, plus any travel and accomodation costs.

It's a very addictive pastime and you'll probably find yourself spending more that you really should

tony-devon

posted on 17/11/10 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
it will be as expensive as you let it be

theres the obvious initial expense, but after that its all about tyres and pit bragging prowess in my experience

I raced years back in a great formula,(formula blue) no idea of the formulas etc available now, but it was a sealed engine with fixed price rebuilds, competitive and fun, but didnt cost the earth.

get along to the track, see what its about, let them have a go and keep an eye out for second hand gear, I used everything second hand, had immense amounts of fun

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 17/11/10 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
But you don't KNOW that there isn't another Lewis H in your family!
Tiger Super Six

posted on 17/11/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phoenix70
I know a little bit about karting from when I used to race, and you really do have to have a resonable sized wallet to take part. The initial equipment is quite expensive, but at least it's a one off cost (barring accidents). The running cost can quickly mount up. You'll probably need a new set of tyres for each meeting you attend (and possible wet's as well) so that about £150ish plus you entry fee, plus any travel and accomodation costs.

It's a very addictive pastime and you'll probably find yourself spending more that you really should

I raced until a couple of months ago and would disagree with the above.

The reason why: If you do club level racing you can buy a 2-3 years old kart which will cost you £'s but will hold most of it's money (when I sold mine I got a bit more back than I paid after 2-years of running). The cost of going to your local circuit to do a club championship does not incur huge mileage or accomodation and you will get more than one meeting out of a set of tyres. I used to buy the tyres cheap from the 'rich' karters who had a set each event. You can be more than competative on this basis as an ability to drive will outweigh someone chucking cash at kit.

I would say that each race meet cost me on average £75-100 total including entry fees etc and average of damage costs which will happen. Personally I don't think that's to bad.

The difference will be if your kids are good and you want to raise the game to national karting, which is where I would expect a budget of £5,000k upwards - but you're a long way from that at the moment.

HTH

Mark

Tiger Avon

will121

posted on 17/11/10 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
some years ago i done 250E karting and as siad above like all racing you can keep spending as much as you want/can depending on you 'competative' desires, if you are there for the enjoyment more than specific win then its lot cheaper, tyres can go off more than wear, and look at restricted classes rather than the more open ones.
not looked at classes to much recently but there seems to be loads now

grassracer

posted on 17/11/10 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Yes MKII I'm talking about Rowrah, thats basically what I wanted to know and I'm going to give the guy a bell. I was looking at Saturday afternoon, thanks for the info, maybe see you there
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MkII

posted on 17/11/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
no probs mate I'll be the one with the curly haired daughter in pink race suit. .m.
zetec

posted on 17/11/10 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
My son started Honda Cadet last year. Decide if they want to race or just go for practice days every now and then. My lad is happy just doing practice days as he gets more time on the track and no strict rules. The cost of running a Honda kart is very little as they are very reliable. If youer lads are too old for Honda, really about 12 is the limit, then poss a ProKart is the next cheaper option. If you follow the route of TKM or Rotax then the cost does start to go up. Racing can start to cost if you want to get in the top finishers with the cost of new karts and tyres being a big factor. The pay back is that it is probably one of the most exciting sports a kid can get into!

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

sickbag

posted on 17/11/10 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
My local circuit is starting a championship next year where the kids use their rental karts - you just turn up, pay a small fee and out they go. You don't need your own Kart, there's no maintenance fee and there's no pressure. Is your circuit doing the same thing?

Finally back on the job!

procomp

posted on 17/11/10 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Are there any schemes where you can get a 7 YO into a kart as a taster. Our local track Birmingham wheels where not very helpful over the phone but am planning on going to see them on Sat and see if the the little one is willing to give it a go. She liked the 2 seater ones at the fair.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkII

posted on 17/11/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
matt
google "lets go karting" its basicly the msa funding a scheme to get kids involved in motorsport its been taken up by a lot of circuits across the country. you start by taking your child to have a go to see if they like it and because its subsidised by the msa it only costs a fiver for a 10 minuite session. then after a while if you want you can move on to more advanced stuff with an instructor all at reasonable cost. the website will tell you more than I can.
hth.m.

Yazza54

posted on 17/11/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Raced cadets, tkm, junior gearbox and 125 icc gearbox. The costs will mount up if you want to be competitive. At first it may be about having fun but once the novelty wears off you want to be winning or at least be considered top 3 rather than being there to make up numbers. Rowrah is a cracking circuit. You'll know within a session if it's worth persuing or not so take them along!

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

norfolkluego

posted on 17/11/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I wish the MSA would do 'Lets Go Formula 1', a fiver for 10 minutes in a McLaren, I'm in
Benzo

posted on 17/11/10 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
i also race Rotax Max 125 for 2 seasons, i had an arrive and drive deal with a team, i owned my own kart but never had anything to do with it, it worked out veyr expensive to the point where i wasnt enjoying it enough because of the out goings.

but you will be looking at around £120 if your prepared to transport and work on the kart yourself. they can be/are tempermental wee buggers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.