Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Proof of Engine Age
Jaybeee

posted on 13/4/11 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
Proof of Engine Age

I have failed the IVA recently and one of the points was proving engine age. What have people used in the past?

[Edited on 13/4/11 by Jaybeee]

matt_gsxr

posted on 13/4/11 at 03:06 AM Reply With Quote
I got a letter from Suzuki for relating to my engine number
stevegough

posted on 13/4/11 at 05:03 AM Reply With Quote
Documentary proof is V5 (or copy) from the engine donor. Or, as already stated, you can write to the engine manufacturer for a letter, but they charge you for the privelige. If it is a ford then Burton Power have tables where you can look up your engine details, my engine has the date cast into the side of the block.

Good luck.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

MakeEverything

posted on 13/4/11 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I swapped my engine recently, and presented a DVLA search on the old car to prove displacement, the old V5 'sellers suppliment' from the donor, and photographic evidence of the engine in its new home as well as a "Mycarcheck.com" search which provides the engine number. They updated the V5C and sent it straight back.

[Edited on 13-4-11 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Dangle_kt

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I used the haynes manual which listed all the engine numbers and their relevant, I then got him to check the engine number and read off the age - it worked fine at Chadderton.
Bumble

posted on 13/4/11 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
If it's a Ford then you can write to them at:

Ford Technical Information Centre
PO Box 300
Walsall
WSS 4QH

Along the lines of:

I am nearing completion of a Kit Car build which uses a Ford Zetec Engine. I am just starting to complete the paperwork required for the IVA Test part of which includes confirmation of the engine age.

I have a 2.0L Zetec Engine with the following number and would be grateful if you could write back confirming the original manufacture date.

Engine No. NGA TC 93***

And they will write back to you free of charge on nice headed paper confirming engine manufacture date for given engine number.

HTH,
Matt

mcerd1

posted on 13/4/11 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
with the ford engines you can look up the age in the burtons cataloge linky

they used to acept this on its own, but by the sounds of things you'd need the donors V5c or a letter from ford to back this up now

-

mad-butcher

posted on 13/4/11 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Shrewsbury accepted Haynes manual data for my blade, as with everything sva/iva related it depends on the centres/testers interpretation of the rules

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 13/4/11 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
They will no longer accept V5 (on its own) as it could have had a previous engine change & V5 updated with new engine no.
Letter from the manufacturer or original documents such as purchase receipt/service book etc. identifying that engine no. with that age of vehicle. Hard copy of general information from people like Burtons/kitcar magazine etc. will probably also be acceptable, but all down to the individual tester.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Promai Joe

posted on 13/4/11 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I had no problem using a print off from the Burton catalogue at the beginning of April. When I phoned the IVA line they suggested haynes would be sufficient. Good luck
mcerd1

posted on 13/4/11 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
^^ I'm hoping to use my V5c + the burtons cataloge / haynes manual

my donors chassis number has the engine number as part of it - so its defiantly the original engine (I know the history of the car from new as it came from next door ) - but I guess I'll need to wait and see what the man from VOSA says....

-

Sellsie

posted on 13/4/11 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Proof of engine age

Do you only need to prove engine age to avoid the Cat test pre 96 or do you need poof of engine age regardless of emissions test you will be doing.
adithorp

posted on 13/4/11 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sellsie
Do you only need to prove engine age to avoid the Cat test pre 96 or do you need poof of engine age regardless of emissions test you will be doing.

Yes, you only need to prove the engine age to avoid the cat' based test. If you don't prove it then they automaticaly revert to the later test.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Sellsie

posted on 13/4/11 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info I have an engine from a 96 car but no V5 etc so can not prove age. I was expecting the cat test anyway so now I don't have to prove age.
stevegough

posted on 13/4/11 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by Sellsie

Yes, you only need to prove the engine age to avoid the cat' based test. If you don't prove it then they automaticaly revert to the later test.

The only other reason to have documentary evidence of the engine is to help towards getting an age - related plate (as opposed to a Q plate) but it isn't 100% necessary - you may need to read up on this for your individual situation.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.