Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Acewell speedo pickup
Miks15

posted on 26/4/11 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Acewell speedo pickup

Hey guys,

IM trying to find a place for the speedo pick up for my acewell dash. Am i right in thinking the sensor needs some magnets to pass it?

Ive been thinking about getting a disc cut which will bolt between the rubber donut on my prop and the output flange on the gearbox. About 3 mm thick. This will then have four equally spaced slots around the outside edge where i will glue in these magnets: here

Cut down to length obviously so they are 3mm thick like the disc.

Would this work? Are those magents strong enough? Is 5mm of magnet length enough? too much? too little?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

DRC INDY 7

posted on 26/4/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have mine running off the os drive shaft at the diff end 1 magnet glued on and a bracket bolted to the diff

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

Danozeman

posted on 26/4/11 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have 2 magnets araldited to my diff flange works a treat. I think the magnets are 5mm.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

russbost

posted on 26/4/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
1 magnet is all you need - should have come with the Acewell, they have everything you need in the box!

Magnet can be mounted on any part rotating at wheel speed or a multiple thereof, prop, driveshaft, hub, driveflange, disc, drum wheel etc. Mount the sensor adjacent so the magnet passes around 2-3mm away from it - set the tyre circumference in the software & that's it job done - simples!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Miks15

posted on 26/4/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
yeh ive got the magnet that came with but cant fins anywhere decent to mount it is the main problem, i shall have another look and see if i can get it to fit
vyperstrype

posted on 26/4/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
The Magnet comes with a 8mm thread. I drilled and Tapped a thread into the Driveshaft, then used an aluminium (Non Magnetic) Bracket to mount the sensor.

Hope this helps.

Regards Eric.

Where there's a will, there's a death!!

Miks15

posted on 27/4/11 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
i did think about that but wasnt too comfortable drilling into my drive shaft
whitestu

posted on 27/4/11 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
My single magnet is mounted on the prop. After a bit of trial and error it is fixed with epoxy and a cable tie. This has now been on for about 18 months with no problems.

I initiall just glued it but after a while it came unstuck.

I cut the thread off the magnet [you can use any bike speedo magnet] and glued this on the prop just behind the gearbox.

The cable tie with the head 180 degrees away from the magnet was tightened on and also glued in place.

The sensor is on a bracket mounted on the chassis above the prop.

Works a treat and is dead easy to install.

Stu

Miks15

posted on 27/4/11 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Have you put the cable tie over the top of the magnet? Or put a hole through and gone through the magnet?
Does it not interfere with the magnet?

whitestu

posted on 27/4/11 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
The cable tie goes over the top of the magnet. No problems with the sensor picking up the signal.

Stu

Miks15

posted on 27/4/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Ok Cheers,
Will try have a look for a suitable location over the weekend

mad-butcher

posted on 27/4/11 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
drill and tap lobro joint case mount sensor on a bracket on the rear upright, 1 calculation required ( rolling distance of wheel
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad-butcher

posted on 27/4/11 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
another photo.
That in my opinion is the beauty of the acewell the magnet is threaded so no need to mess around with araldite etc, don't forget a drop of loctite on the thread
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 27/4/11 by mad-butcher]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 27/4/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

1 calculation required ( rolling distance of wheel

or use a satnav to calibrate it.

Stu

russbost

posted on 27/4/11 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I would second the lobro joint as being a good place to mount, TBH I'm led to believe most people cut the thread off & use araldite or Kwik weld or similar epoxy to secure in place, I've used both methods & never had a magnet come adrift, the main thing is to make sure it's spotlessly clean b4 glueing, don't use oily based cleaner such as petrol/parafin to clean, use something spirit based like brake cleaner, thinners, meths etc.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Miks15

posted on 27/4/11 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Right have now drilled and tapped the joint where the shaft meets the diff. Seems pretty good So lets hope it works!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.