Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pre retest IVA pics - opinions please
Promai Joe

posted on 11/5/11 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Pre retest IVA pics - opinions please

Hi Everyone,

I have run throuh the list of fail items from my original fail - detailed list here there are a couple of minor not sures at the moment, what do you think.

1. Apparently the brake lines must not foul moving parts, the moving part in question is the front mudguard mounting, on the day the tested said that if this was covered then he would pass it, this is what I have done. Anyone else come across this?
Before

After

2. The vehicle did not have an earth point which I could show the tester on the day due to a threaded bolt on the boot cover, do you think this will suffice

3. The position of the side repeaters (on the underside of the wing mirrors) could not be seen from the rear
Before

After
So I have moved them to the front arches, the photos are not taken from the best angles

4. Rear mounts on the seat belts were too sharp
Before

After

5. Rear fog did not have F or B marking in additon to the E, I was using the wipac round lamps and CBS had an expensive LED version which fitted straight in (more for others info)

6. Labels suggesting Brake Bias should not be touched and dot indicators for fluid. (I can make you stickers if you need - more for info)

7. The chassis number was stamped on the wrong side, I have restamped and on the powerder coated frame it jumped around a bit and is not brilliant - I have added chalk for visibility. This is now on the right side of the car between the engine bay and nose area. Do you think they will check the depth of the stamp? I cannot be sure it has gone into the metal without removing the powder coat?

One issue which I have resvolved, I hope to the testers satsifaction is the speedo. It was reading under by a few mph, as my sensor is on the front wheel this cannot be tested by rolling road method? I have now adjusted to what he said - around 20mph in top gear at 1500rpm. But this is way out and over I will take a SAT NAV and have managed to get hold of a radar gun, I just hope all of this extra effort will pay off.

Please let me know your thoughts

nick205

posted on 11/5/11 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
For the brake pipes, would it not be better to use a banjo fitting so the hose comes off perpendicular to the caliper? No risk of fouling that way, covered or not.

For the brake bias, my SVA (not IVA) examiner was adamnt the bias had to be mechanically locked in such a way as to prevent adjustment. I welded a little plate over the adjuster to prevent acces (this then fell off after the re-test due to my poor welding )

rodgling

posted on 11/5/11 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure about that earth lead - is it rubbing against a sharp edge? I failed my IVA for not having a visible earth strap (among other reasons) - for the retest I just brought a large photo of the hidden earth strap which he was perfectly happy with.

The rest looks fine though.

locostbuyer83

posted on 11/5/11 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
I put my side repeaters on the rear arches as I'm not convinced the front arches can be seen at the 5 degree and 60 degree angle if you turn the wheels.

My tester also said "I see you read the manual" when he saw them. Just have to make sure they are less than 2600mm from the front of the car.

big_wasa

posted on 11/5/11 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Brake pipes, mine touched and would have failed so ive added a tag and run a short solid line like the cortina had.

Just an idea...

Side repeaters, If you put them on the front and he turns the steering you still wont see them. Rear arch is easier if you can get them within the distance. Just pu a tube to the inside of the arch and tap into the rear indicators.

[Edited on 11/5/11 by big_wasa]

rodgling

posted on 11/5/11 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
FYI, mine passed with side repeaters on the front cycle wings.
Daddylonglegs

posted on 11/5/11 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I welded a little plate over the adjuster to prevent acces (this then fell off after the re-test due to my poor welding )

Did you also weld your chassis too then?

Rodgling, was that the IVA or SVA and have you got any pics of your side repeaters fitted?

I ask as I've got mine fitted to the front arches.

Thanks,
John

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

locostbuyer83

posted on 11/5/11 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Side repeaters:

I think its going to depend on the tester but I think you would fail if the tester turned the front wheel.

If it was me (and it was last week) I would add a repeater on the rear and remove from the front.

My car:

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.