Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: My first MK track session
Custardpants

posted on 4/8/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
My first MK track session

Picked mine up yesterday after a track afternoon with Danny at Cadwell.The car was a factory build with the gen 2 hayabusa engine.

Felt nervous driving a car with a sequential gearbox on an unknown circuit on r888s in the damp, but Danny was great at showing me how to drive the car and also the circuit. When he drove the car it was a pleasure to be a passenger sitting right next to the exhaust which screamed up through the gears and popped and crackled on overrun - the bikers were clapping when he drove back in at the end of the session.

When I drove I started to get the hang of it near the end, comfortably passing all the other cars on the track. I found being able to see the front wheels helped me to miss a wide eyed squirrel deciding the negotiate the worlds most dangerous crossing in front of a line of cars heading into one of the corners.

First impressions of the car is that its a very precise instrument that needs to be treated well - seemed to really like being fed a constant steering angle through the corners, as I span making a steering correction when going into one corner sightly too quick in the damp. I have softened the rear slightly to be a little less prone to oversteer from my driving though - i'll put it back when i'm used to the car.

Only other comment worth noting is that the accelerator in particular is so sensitive - good thin shoes are a must, and even then i find it difficult to keep the power on the right foot smooth, especially pulling away in first gear. May look at extending the pedal travel at some point.

Only hiccup I had was the shift cable coming off from the shift lever inside the tunnel between the seats while I was in sixth gear on the way home, and had to get a recovery truck to take me back the rest of the way. Rang MK up this morning and they came up to me in York right away to fix it, and they also went over the whole car to check if anything else was loose, what great service.

All in all, I'm absolutely delighted with the car, it's even better than i'd expected it to be, well worth the wait.

lewis

posted on 4/8/11 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Car looks fantastic mate very cool
bobinspain

posted on 4/8/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
The car sounds just what I ordered, except it would be a pi$$er if your problem happened to me 1000 miles away from the garage.
I have wobbly legs looking forward to my factory build from two points of view, Adrenaline and wallet.
In for a penny, in for an overdraft!

bobinspain

posted on 4/8/11 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention, as a bike track, Cadwell is top drawer for an agile car.
Did 2 track days in my Lotus 340-R at Cadwell and on one occassion, spun out to the right on a left hander, (top of the hill descending) by not keeping my right boot down. I chickened out, but the car would have stayed planted if only I'd had the bottle.

JonnyS

posted on 4/8/11 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats mate. I think I should get some MK commission Get Si to get a post over on FCCUK Any videos? Oh and when's the next one?
Custardpants

posted on 5/8/11 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Johnny! Yep didn't know MKs existed until you screamed past me in your red car at Mallory a while back! Not sure on the next one yet, you? Depends on work and also getting a fire extinguisher sorted on it. Really need to get the heel and toeing sorted on this throttle response, otherwise i'll look at fitting a flat shifter maybe...

Luke

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.