Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wiring help
steve8274

posted on 7/9/11 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
wiring help

hi all
finally finished my wiring! yay!!!
time for the big switch on and.....nothing Booo!!
well when i say nothing, if i press the hazard switch, it illuminates and stays on. hazards dont flash. light goes out if i press switch again.
also, when the engine is running, if i press the hazard switch, the engine stalls. not sure if related but think it is.
i am using stalks from j plate sierra and using the wiring diagram below which other people seemed to have used.
can anyone shed any light to what may be causing this, and better still how to rectify. this is last big job on car and is really holding me up.
any ideas welcomed
thanks in advance
steve stalk wiring
stalk wiring

scudderfish

posted on 7/9/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Do any of the other circuits work?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 7/9/11 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Might be worth taking all the fuses out and trying each circuit in turn to at least see if anything is working properly. Also check all your earths are good, they can give some really weird faults

Edit: It sounds like the only issue is your hazards? If so, then double check your wiring from the column, sounds related.

[Edited on 7/9/11 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

AndyGT

posted on 7/9/11 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Have you got a good earth? If the loom is from another motor, was it tested before you removed and installed it in your car?

Quite often, electric builds on new builds are bad connections/earth/etc...

Good luck...

Andy

PS For me, I'd be looking at the earth supply as everything is not working rather than a few problems.

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wilkingj

posted on 7/9/11 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Is it a dizzy or an ECU running the engine?

Check if the supply voltage stays on the ECU or the LT side of the coil whan you press the hazard button. This might tell you why the engine stalls. Check whether its just a lack of volts, or possible a short to earth that drops the voltage to zero or near zero. However a short to earth would usually make something get hot or even burn wiring.

I am thinking your power switching might be wrong, ie the hazards are removing the power from the ecu / coil when you hit the hazard button.

The problem you have to sort is whether you have it wired correctly in the first place.
ie you have wired the car up, and may have got a wire on the wrong tag etc. Its a different faulting technique to trying to sort out something that was working before, and now doesnt. ie a component or earthing failure causing the fault.
With a new kit car, and newly done wiring, you want to check things carefully, and ensure its wired correctly. (and that MAY not be how you have it wired at the moment.
It will take time, and some logical thought.

DO NOT POKE AND HOPE!! This is the sort of fault finding that will get you nowhere fast. Believe me, I used to fault find on Analogue Strowger Telephone Exchanges, and the approach to faulting a newly installed exchange that does not work, is different to one that has worked for years then something failed. I hope you get my drift on this.

Check a wire really goes to where you think it should, ie disconnect both ends and check for continuity. The you know you are right.
Is the supply toi the hazards there? from what I remember, Hazards are powered from a non switched supply, as they have to work with the ignition off as well as on.

Hope that gives you a pointer or two and something to think about in the way you approach the problem.

Take it steady, check it bit by bit, electrical faults are sometimes not very easy to solve.
Oh... and Check ALL the earths are connected to the chassis, and to bare metal. ie scrape the paint / powder coating off first. I then cover the area and terminal in grease to stop it rusting and giving other faults later. Bad earths give rise to strange faults, and are easy to solve. Its always a good starting point.

Cheers

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 7/9/11 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
EARTHS.

I am sorry I can't help any more, but I have the exact same problems myself. Sadly, you are making me feel better. I hope I am doing the same for you.

Peteff

posted on 7/9/11 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Check you connected the brown/black 56 together between the two stalks, it gave me similar problems till I found it.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

steve8274

posted on 7/9/11 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the prompt replies.
i have checked earths and all seem to be connected. i have put rivnuts into chassis and bolted earths to them
the flying earth lead(pin 31) has been connected to earth lead on battery and one of the two brown/black leads which goes to other stalk (pin 56) has also been connected to earth. one was connected to other stalk and other was just loose.
is this correct?
checked continuity for each wire and all seems fine.
no circuits seems to work and running megajolt ignition
RK hope we sort out problem soon. at least i know its not just me.
thanks
steve

[Edited on 7/9/11 by steve8274]

scudderfish

posted on 7/9/11 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
If nothing is working, disconnect them all and just concentrate on getting something simple like dipped headlights working. Add circuits one at a time, and test them all at every stage.

steve8274

posted on 9/9/11 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quick update.
spent couple of hours on wiring tonight.
got the side lights, brake lights and reverse to work.
however, i seem to have a short on front indicators. both the positive and negative connectors seem to be earthed???? checked by using multimeter and touching terminals and chassis. rears are fine.
going to have to undone all conduit and see if i can find any obvious faults on wire(fingers crossed) otherwise i`m not too sure how to find it. anyone any ideas?
thanks
steve

rusty nuts

posted on 10/9/11 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Check the wiring diagram you have used is the correct one for the switches you have by checking the part number of the switches. There is at least 2 ways of wiring the switches IIRC . Switch wiring has been covered several times so it might be worth doing a search? Good luck

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.