Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone run an Acewell 7659 with cable drive?
cjwood23

posted on 24/9/11 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone run an Acewell 7659 with cable drive?

Hi guys,
Not started a build yet (hoping to sort it al in the new year) and already looking a t different bits! lol

As the title really, does anyone run an ACEWELL (CLICKY LINKY) with the cable drive from the gear box?

Is this easier to set up than using a magnetic wheel sensor??

Cheers

Chris

carlknight1982

posted on 24/9/11 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 7659 there is no fitting for a cable drive, you would have to adapt the drive from the Gbox to a electric sender, i have a mag pick up located on the diff flange, set up using the sat nav to get is almost spot on the got it to within .5mph on the rolling road at SVA.

talk to russbost he is spot of with the acewell stuff.

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

russbost

posted on 25/9/11 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
Above is (almost) completely correct. There are cable drive adapters for all of the Acewell range, but only for motorcycles. For car units, any of the higher level Acewells (3251 & above) have a faster processor which will run with many OE electronic senders.

Don't forget I can always offer a discount to Locostbuilders, & happy to discuss what you want to do, just give me a bell on 07905 879407. I would add that the 7659 is a stonkingly good dash & offers fantastic features & value for money unrivalled by any other electronic dash!

Russ

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mad-butcher

posted on 25/9/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Why make extra work for yourself, use the standard acewell parts

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cjwood23

posted on 26/9/11 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Above is (almost) completely correct. There are cable drive adapters for all of the Acewell range, but only for motorcycles. For car units, any of the higher level Acewells (3251 & above) have a faster processor which will run with many OE electronic senders.

Don't forget I can always offer a discount to Locostbuilders, & happy to discuss what you want to do, just give me a bell on 07905 879407. I would add that the 7659 is a stonkingly good dash & offers fantastic features & value for money unrivalled by any other electronic dash!

Russ

Thanks for that Russ.
Just re-read the spec, seems I got a bit confused - that'll teach me to skim read something lol.

Chris

russbost

posted on 28/9/11 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Just as a point of info the pic above showing the sensor mounted, the sensor is actually mounted incorrectly! I'm guessing it's working ok, but certainly not the recommended way to mount.

If you look closely the sensor has 2 lines as part of the plastic moulding, for the best signal pickup the magnet should run along one of these lines, not past the end of the unit as shown above (& certainly not along the centreline top to bottom of the cylindrical section as I have seen them mounted sometimes!)

So to mount the above unit correctly it needs to turn thro' 90 degrees, so the axis of the sensor & the wiring would be running parallel to the driveshaft - a little difficult to explain on paper!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mad-butcher

posted on 28/9/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info, Just had a look at the Acewell website and I'm almost certain that the way they say to mount the sensor was not the way it was shown on the instruction sheet that came with mine, I had assumed that it mounted the way I have done to allow for setting the gap, I'm still confused as to why the adjustment is on that particular plane, It's been working fine mounted like it is for about 4 years so I guess I'll leave well enough alone. But again thanks for the info.

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.