Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: captive bolts/threads - how?
ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
captive bolts/threads - how?

As an alternative to using rivnuts for securing bodywork and other bits n pieces I want to weld some captive threads/bolts onto my chassis. Just wondering who's done this and how they did it.

Do you drill through the tube from the other side, poke the bolt through and then weld the head on the back of the tube and/or on the top as well? I don't want the thread welded at the bottom if i can help it as I want things to sit flat against the tube eg scuttle/nose etc.

Also, I want to do this for a chassis earth point, where is the best place to put it (near the battery in the engine bay?) and what size bolt is most common for battery size earth cables?

cheers,

NEd.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 8/9/04 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
ned why not

drill hole in chassis thread nut onto bolt
insert bolt /nut combo so that nut sits against chassis. clamp bolt to hold it in place weld nut to chassis

m8 is a good size for main earth else use m6 for usual earth points

Tim

ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Tim,

nice alternative, but I wanted the bolt captive as opposed to the nut, then i can seal the bolt in situ so nothing can get inside the chassis which might be the case if the bolt comes in and out. i also wanted to have the bolts sticking out so i can locate the scuttle etc onto it. I also want to weld on some metal dowels/pins to help locate the bonnet.

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 8/9/04 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
if you dont weld both sides it will weaken the chassis tube. the alternatice is to weld a sleve tube into the chassis on both sides and then weld the bolt head on one side, it also has the advantage that you dont stand the chance of squashing the chassis tube it you get a
gorrilla to tighten the nut

[Edited on 8/9/04 by timf]

splitrivet

posted on 8/9/04 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Ive done it the other way round Ned welding the nut into place,I would think doing it tother way round would give you problems if you snapped the bolt.
Just my tupennorth worth.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
like the idea of welding in a sleeve, only thing is where to source the tube from...

small quantities of m6 + m8 id tube anyone?

Ned.

split rivet, if you snap the bolt you'd just grind the head off the nut on the back of the tube where you welded it and it would come out, then weld in a replacement!

[Edited on 8/9/04 by ned]

timf

posted on 8/9/04 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
how much dou you need

and an address

ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Tim,
you have u2u...

Ned.

MonkeyHunter

posted on 8/9/04 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
Ned,

The big B&Q's do quite a variety of metal tube, in meter lengths. It's not the cheapest in the world though.

ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
mm, we have a b&q warehouse just round the corner, i may pay them a visit this evening..

thanks monkeyhunter!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/9/04 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
ive bought several bits of metal from my b and q warehouse in northampton. A fair selection of flat round and rhs in metre and 2 metre lenghths. Its all seemed tho...

atb

steve

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/9/04 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
mm, we have a whorehouse just round the corner, i may pay them a visit this evening..

NED!!!!!

ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
oi! gusters, you may be bored at work, but that old trick of editing someone else's quote wears thin after a while

Ned.

timf

posted on 8/9/04 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
oi! gusters, you may be bored at work, but that old trick of wearing someone else's wears thin after a while

Ned.

you get worse ned

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/9/04 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
oi! gusters, you may be bored at work, but that old trick of editing someone else's quote wears thin after a while

Ned.

pot, kettle, black

mr work only poster

atb

steve

PS - I think timf may have done similar to me in the past........

[Edited on 8/9/04 by stephen_gusterson]

ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
but i don't intentionally mis-quote other people

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/9/04 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
but i don't intentionally mis-quote other people

It can be fun

do you ever post screen shots to make other people's arguments fall in flames ?

I know mine will be as bad, but here goes.....

your history today. You can join the bored club too!

[Edited on 8/9/04 by stephen_gusterson] Rescued attachment Image1.jpg
Rescued attachment Image1.jpg

timf

posted on 8/9/04 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson

PS - I think timf may have done me in the past........

how dare you suggesst such a thing mr gusto i'm shocked at the thought

i'm happily married

ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
just following you lead steve:

[img][/img]

ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

with you being so bored, you could at least update the pics on your website, the 'latest progress' shows pics a week short of being a year old

Ned.

ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
did i ever deny it either

Ned.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/9/04 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I cant do that from work

thanks for looking tho.

The stuff you wont really see, and wouldnt be interesting to most on this site are :

1. getting granada wiper system to fit.
2. making up rear grp wings (thats on site)
3. making up running boards.
4. making up chassis / sub frame under above to allow to take step-on weight.
5. trimming whole interior, inc learning how to use a sewing machine!
6. making up doors, including fabricating all lock mechanism internals and striker system to SVA (double locking) standards. Fitting said doors to car.
7. Aligning / setting up suspension.
8. fitting all brake pipes and wiring up abs system.
9. making up windscreen frame

Thats just a few things since the last update. I know your trying to infer I post and dont build, but you struck out there!

In the main, as my car is so 'un locost' - see items above - I dont think there is too much point putting that kinda stuff on the site, or reporting the progress here. How to make doors, runnning boards, abs systems, etc, would be of no interest on this site.

touche.

atb

zorro

quote:
Originally posted by ned
Steve,

with you being so bored, you could at least update the pics on your website, the 'latest progress' shows pics a week short of being a year old

Ned.

ned

posted on 8/9/04 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

I wasn't trying to infer that you post but aren't building, I was inferring that you post, but haven't updated your website in nearly a year I recall you mentioning a couple of weeks ago that your doors and interior were done, was just looking I haven't updated my site in a while either, I just don't have any dates on it so no one is any the wiser as to how long it's been

Ned.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/9/04 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
I really do need to wheel the car out and bolt bits on and take more pics. However, last time I did that - re my avatar - all the local kids took an interest and it was a pita explaining what it was and the like. Subsequently I havnt been a$$ed to do it!

Tonight im gonna brush paint the (2 off) running board chassis before watching the england fiasco on tv.

Those chassis, for each running board, are made up of 16 bits of 16mm rhs a piece. Its stuff like this that really takes up the time. The 10mm thick (8 layers) grp boards fit over these.

Im about a week away from making up the buck for the front wings. This thing will be about 300mm wide and 2 mtrs long. Takes the bodywork from the running boards, up and over the wheels to the front. Bit like wrap over clam shells. Making up the wings is likelly to take, off and on, best part of 6 weeks methinks.

Again, std locost, just buy in two cycle wings.......

The more I do, the more I realise that a book locost is a very compact minimalist easy to make design. COmpared to my deviant car.

atb

steve

MikeP

posted on 8/9/04 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
what was the question again?

hehehe, funny guys.

Another idea - use the steel rivet nuts on the tube. After installing put a couple of tacks around the lip and grind them down flush.

I've done that on a couple that I was afraid might spin some day where it would be a real pain to get them apart.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.