Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY suspension bushes.
MonkeyHunter

posted on 8/9/04 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
DIY suspension bushes.

Hi, I am ordering some casting polyurethane, to stiffen up my suspension mounts.

I will have quite a bit left over, so my question is, is there any reason why I cant make my own top hat suspension bushes, but with the "rims" of the top hats as separate pieces?

I figure it will be much simpler to make them in this way, as I can pour two bars of poly, and then just cut to the appropriate length, as opposed to making lots of top hat moulds.

Also, anyone know of anything that is good at dissolving / removing polyurethane? As I want to remove the stuff in my engine mounts at the moment.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/9/04 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
i am going to make my own suspension bushes if i can get some poly,

i was going to turn them down from bar so if there is a better way i would be very interested

any one know where i can get poly rod from?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

timf

posted on 8/9/04 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
i am going to make my own suspension bushes if i can get some poly,

i was going to turn them down from bar so if there is a better way i would be very interested

any one know where i can get poly rod from?

http://www.aiinternational.co.uk/

andylancaster3000

posted on 8/9/04 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the RS components website

www.rswww.com

or get hold of their catalogues. They have a large selection of plastics probably suitable

Andy

Hellfire

posted on 8/9/04 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
Have a look at the RS components website

www.rswww.com

or get hold of their catalogues. They have a large selection of plastics probably suitable

Andy

R U on commission?

MonkeyHunter

posted on 8/9/04 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
*Cough* Anyway..... Anyone? Please!
Peteff

posted on 8/9/04 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
A blowlamp should remove your old ones. You could just make the bushes in poly and put washers either side of the centre tube to stop sideways movement.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MonkeyHunter

posted on 8/9/04 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
You could just make the bushes in poly and put washers either side of the centre tube to stop sideways movement.

I was under the impression that the ends needed to have some elasticity, so that the bushes can absorb some lateral forces from the wishbones? Though i suppose you dont get that with Rose-Jointed set ups.

Hugh Jarce

posted on 9/9/04 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
If you could be absolutely certain the wishbones would only move in one plane then you could get away with steel washers at each end. As the wishbones will flex all over the place, washers would impede the movement and start chewing up the wishbones or brackets.
Making top hat style bushes is quite easy if not a bit time consuming. You'll need to make a two-part steel mould on the lathe and then just pour them one at a time.
Peteff is correct about the old engine mounts. Just burn them out with a blow lamp or the gas axe. You will then have to build a tricky little setup to support both steel elements of the engine mount while you pour the urethane around them.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

MonkeyHunter

posted on 9/9/04 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
If you could be absolutely certain the wishbones would only move in one plane then you could get away with steel washers at each end. As the wishbones will flex all over the place, washers would impede the movement and start chewing up the wishbones or brackets.
Making top hat style bushes is quite easy if not a bit time consuming. You'll need to make a two-part steel mould on the lathe and then just pour them one at a time.
Peteff is correct about the old engine mounts. Just burn them out with a blow lamp or the gas axe. You will then have to build a tricky little setup to support both steel elements of the engine mount while you pour the urethane around them.

The thing with making a single mold is i would have to mix up the polyurethane a bit at a time, and it would only be a tiny ammount, so its not very practical.

I tried burning the Rubber out of one of the mounts, with a mini propane/oxy tourch, and it doesnt want to melt, and it burns very slowly and keeps putting itself out I currently have it imersed in paint stripper, to see if that will do the job.

To support all the bits of the mounts while i pour the polyurethane in, I was just going to use plasticine.

Come to think of it, i wonder if i could use a "Metal Top Hat" to punch out moulds in a big block of plasticine so i could pour all my bushes at once??...

chrisf

posted on 10/9/04 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
3 part mould

I actually considered this myself. My reason was so I could mix graphite in with the poly. As for the mould making, here was my idea...

1.) Pin the two blocks of 6061 together and bore the holes in. It is actually two holes because of the shoulder on the poly bush. My block would have made 8 pcs.

2.) Pin a third block to top off the bush holes.

3.) Drill small air hole through the top, one for each bush.

4.) Flip the mould over and drill a very small hole in the bottom of the mould, one for each bush.

5.) Use a syringe to inject the poly through the small hole on the bottom. When the polly begins to squirt ot the top air hole, place a piece of tape over it.

My mould was a bit more detailed because I placed a male pin where the crush tube would go. In the end, I figured this was more trouble that it was worth. I took my already-purchased Delrin rod to the CNC shop and they turned it for me based on a SolidWorks file.

--Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
givemethebighammer

posted on 11/9/04 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
A blowlamp should remove your old ones. You could just make the bushes in poly and put washers either side of the centre tube to stop sideways movement.

Is there not something nasty that gets released when you set fire to automotive rubber components ? Seem to remember reading about hydrofluoric acid and people having to have limbs amputated ?

yes could be hazardous see here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~sparrow/viton.htm

[Edited on 11/9/04 by givemethebighammer]

Peteff

posted on 11/9/04 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Internal components use that.

Stuff is used inside engines and is bad news. It eats you alive.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

givemethebighammer

posted on 11/9/04 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
internal components only ? so it's definately not used in suspension bushes, engine mounts etc, I've seen them turn to a black sticky mess as described after they have been exposed to excess heat.

just did a search seem to be that mainly sealing components (oil seals, gaskets etc) are made of this evil Viton stuff. Makes you think though

[Edited on 11/9/04 by givemethebighammer]

silex

posted on 14/9/04 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Try the following for polymer bushes / bearings

www.igus.co.uk

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

andkilde

posted on 14/9/04 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hey guys

The folks I work for cast poly components -- I've been on them to make some tophats for me, it's a no go in small quantities, cost prohibitive for runs under 1000 pieces -- anyroad we make three styles of moulds for poly.

1) CNC cut open top moulds. you could probably do this nicely on a drill press, though a bridgeport would be better. Basically drill and countersink concentric holes in a thick sheet of ally, drill the centre as a through hole (later filled with a metal dowel) with the tophat at very top. These moulds are gravity poured and the excess trowelled off even with the top edge of the mould.

2) CNC cut closed moulds (necessary if you need tight controls on the part height). similar mould to above, leaving the centre dowels longer. A top plate with the dowel holes cut fits over top after the urethane is poured into the bottom half of the mould, excess poly squirts out a small relief drilled beside the dowel hole.

3) Hard poured urethane mould. Exact copies of the part, called hobs, are cut from ally set upside down on a flat plate, dammed up around the edges with more ally and hard urethane is poured into a thick slab around the hobs. Once cured you have an open topped mould.

All require use of a release agent, silicone works best but gives auto plants the willies (smallest bit of silicone will fisheye paint) so we don't use it.

Also, you need to design your part with a slight draft angle (ie. slightly tapered going into the mould). Only a very tiny amount is required -- helps get the parts out of the mould. Parts are generally popped out after initial cure using compressed air blown around the edge of the parts & mould -- then placed back in the oven for final cure. Urethane shrinks a bit as it cures, the percentage should be given by the urethane supplier. Your mould will have to be adjusted in size to compensate.

On this side of the ocean Acklands Grainger (www.grainger.com) sell inexpensive kits of pourable poly in 60A and 90A. Not sure where you'd find it in the UK but poke around at your local industrial supply and bearing shops -- they won't stock it but should be able to order it in for you.

Hmmn, all this fussing makes me think it might be far easier (in small quantities) to have someone carve them out of delrin on a lathe...

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.