Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MotoGP - why are they doing that?
Fred W B

posted on 22/4/13 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
MotoGP - why are they doing that?

Last night I watched the MotoGP, which I haven't paid much attention to before, dont usually watch much TV.

I used to be into bikes, rode a Z500/550 as my daily transport for 10 years and raced lightweights, but that was a long time ago.

So what's the story with this new fashion of hanging the left foot off the footpeg as they brake into a left hander? Are they trying to get the centre of gravity a bit further in or maybe preparing to take a dab like a motocrosser if necessary or what?

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

maccmike

posted on 22/4/13 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
VR started hat, think it just inspires confidence.
chris-g

posted on 22/4/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Acts as an air brake and the weight transfer aids turn in. At least that's what the commentators say.
bowood14

posted on 22/4/13 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Another question is how does Marquez get so far over he rubs his elbow on the track!! I get scared when my knee touches the ground
joni

posted on 22/4/13 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
knee down

its when your ear touches the ground then its all over ...lol
Ninehigh

posted on 22/4/13 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris-g
Acts as an air brake and the weight transfer aids turn in. At least that's what the commentators say.

If they're anything like the rugby commentators on sky then it's probably bobbins

StrikerChris

posted on 23/4/13 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
Probably as much to put the guy behind you off as much as anything!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 23/4/13 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Also known as the "Doctors Dangle". Rossi started it ages ago, and now others are simply copying him, presumably with the hope that it actually does something.

I can't see much benefit in it personally.

Agriv8

posted on 23/4/13 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
My thoughts were to streach/relax the leg muscle ( a to check it hasnt got cramp for the corner ) so being able to push the peg down more.

but as I am no allowed a Motor bike its just a theory !!

ATB Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

EX01

posted on 23/4/13 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Originally it was thought the Engine on Rossi’s bike was so hot he had to lift his leg off.
The actual reason bikers get their knee down is to have a tactile gauge as to how far over they are (And if you’re a pro save front end slides us mere mortals would die from) It was thought this was the start of that process.

There are many reason given as to why Rossi does this and during a press conference Rossi said this:

"When he and Jeremy Burgess look at the data, and compare the corners where he does his signature leg wave with the same corner when he leaves his foot on the peg, there is no difference at all. The data shows exactly the same braking time and force, the same weight distribution, no difference whatsoever."

Make of that what you want.

All I know is when I was riding my ZX10R I required both feet on the pegs so I could use both knee's buried in the tank/air box so I could hold on enough under hard braking (using arms is bad as it upsets the suspension load pre corner, light hands and arms at all times on the bars), how they hold one leg off and brake...... Guess that's why they are millionaires racing bikes and I’m working behind a computer all day

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.