Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 Regulator / Rectifier Question
The Venom Project

posted on 4/1/14 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
R1 Regulator / Rectifier Question

Engine is a 1999 R1 4XV / 5JJ
All standard wiring, using original switch gear
Had issues with dim lighting from day one of the build, so fitted car 30A relays for the headlights, this made them much brighter.

Had an issue last year of the dip beam causing loss of voltage and ultimately killing power to the vehicle.

Had thought due to the 3 pin plug from the stator to the Reg/Rec melting, that the Stator was going to be the issue. But a friend of mine on the same vehicle had this issue and it turned out to be his Reg/Rec

Do any of you think that my voltage / lighting issue could result in my Reg/Rec being the issue?

I had thought that the 3 x white wires (3 phase) just allowed the AC voltage coming from the Stator to be converted via the Reg/Rec to 12V DC

My mate who sold me the engine said that one of the 3 phases is used for dip/main beam, but my mate with the same trike says this is bullshit, and that the 3 cables from the stator ca be wired any way around so how could this be the case, I see what he is saying, but cannot dismiss anything due to the issue, I also mentioned that I had found the loose un-plugged earth and that I wondered if this was thee only cause to my problems, my mate with the same vehicle said probably so, my mate who sold the engine to me said probably not........ FFS

Any ideas chaps / chapetes?

Nick

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

Wadders

posted on 4/1/14 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Can't help with your specific problem, but can confirm the three wires from the stator are AC and so it does not matter which
way round they go, and yes the reg/rec converts the 3 phases of AC generated by the stator to 12v DC (nearer 14v actually)
all your circuits including lighting are run from the DC side (after the reg/rec)

Worth checking the battery is in good condition and the charge circuit is ok and that you are getting approx 13.75v dc at the battery with the engine running, then start looking at earths, it only takes a loose or corroded cable or contact to give problems. You can also check the generator output on the white wires with a multimeter, my Kawi is approx 70v AC per phase, would guess the Yam will be similar, although its more important that the 3 phases are
the same. Reg/rec's are notoriously fickle, and you can pick a new one up for peanuts, it does not have to be specific to your engine, pretty much any will do, mines off a honda superdream.

Al

[Edited on 4/1/14 by Wadders]

The Venom Project

posted on 4/1/14 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Reg/Rec

Cheers for the response,

It's funny, when my NC30 one went I replaced it with a Superdream one, so I knew I could pretty much fit any to any, but I think I can get a brand new aftermarket one from M&P for about £90.

Might as well try that one and at least its one more part replaced for new.

Cheers

Nick

rick1962uk

posted on 4/1/14 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
3 wires are 3 phase bikes can only power a small amount of wattage as the stator just will not cope i have had a lot of trouble with bikes fitted with after market bulbs going from 55w to 100w caused loads of problems

if you need a stator or regulator use electrexworld.co.uk thats where most of the trade get replacements from

The Venom Project

posted on 4/1/14 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Many Thanks,

I still have standard bulbs fitted 55W/60W

Well the R1 uses maybe a H1 55/60

And mine are H4 55/60 so really shouldnt be an issue, I know my mate still has the standard R1 relays and has some all in one projector headlights and has no issues :-)

Cheers will take a look.

Cheers

Nick

hobbsy

posted on 5/1/14 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
HID headlights draw less current for more light so worth considering. Off the top of my head they are mostly 35w a side.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.