Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra stalks and relays
gedbateman

posted on 5/3/14 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra stalks and relays

I am doing my best to wire up a haynes roadster and I have reached the cliff edge with the relays for head/dip. I have used standard relays and latching relays and still cant get the dipped lights on and the full beam to work in concert. I shall continue until I succeed, but does any one out there now of a more simple and elegant way to deal with the headlights. All other lights work. I am using a CBS prewired unit
Davedew

posted on 5/3/14 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Which type of Sierra switch gear have you got? Early is switched positive, late is switched earth.

If you have the later type then looking at the CBS wiring diagram, you would need to connect pin 14 of the CBS module to the positive coil pin of the dipped & main beam relays, pin 85 I believe.

Then connect pin 86 of each relay to the correct connections on the Sierra indicator switch, 56A for main beam, 56B for dip beam. Make sure pin 56 of the indicator switch is connected to pin 56 of the light switch.

Pin 56 on the light switch should have two brown wires. The link wire from indicator switch and the other goes straight to earth. Also connect pin 31 of the light switch to earth as this is used for main beam flash function.

HTH

Dave

Not Anumber

posted on 5/3/14 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
If you cant work out which type of Sierra stalks you have then your best bet is to sit down with a continuity tester, multimeter or battery and bulb to work out which wire connects to which when the switch is in a certain position. It will take you about an hour.

I bought my stalks from different places and typically it turned out that one was the early type, the other the late. It caused no problems once I'd manually mapped out what each wire did though.

gedbateman

posted on 5/3/14 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you that is a a good starting point. It is the later model. Ill give it a shot, I might be back.
SteveWallace

posted on 7/3/14 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Here are the wiring diagrams that I did for my Sierra stalks:

headlight tail and fog wiring
headlight tail and fog wiring

indicator wiring
indicator wiring

gedbateman

posted on 7/3/14 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I used this diagram and the whole thing now works, the secret is to wire the relays opposite too the normal view given in other diagrams and the combined positive feed is clever. Earth out through the lamps. The latching relay works well on the main beam with switch over to null. excellent very much obliged. Have not set myself on fire yet. Might now have a go with the rear fog light.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.