Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New car advice
Daddylonglegs

posted on 17/3/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
New car advice

We are about to change our Motability car and have been looking at different models.

Anyone got any feedback for the Mitsubishi ASX? We are thinking of the 1.6 petrol as we don't do the miles we used to so cannot really justify the extra upfront for a diesel, and the mileage isn't that different really between the petrol and diesel models.

Also looking at possibly the Hyundai i30.

Any others 'worth a look'?

Cheers,
JB

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

morcus

posted on 17/3/14 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Have you ruled out an Astra or Focus? I have the former and I'm very impressed and had a few focus for work and it's an alright machine.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

D Beddows

posted on 17/3/14 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I had an i30 (diesel) hire car for a week recently - once you turned off the 'stop/start' nonsense and wound the power steering up to 'sport' it was actually quite a nice car. Boring as hell obviously but it went round corners ok and the cabin is pretty well designed and comfy
jossey

posted on 17/3/14 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I had a petrol astra last week. OMG its awful. it must have been a 1.6 or something with no turbo so was poooo.

The Hyundai's are good these days.

Kai ok too

Focus good

I haven't drove a ASX but a friend is getting one. Wouldn't get the petrol one if it was me due to lack of power compared to diesel...

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 17/3/14 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Kia generally look better than the related Hyundai model.
If buying a small to mid sized car I would go for a Kia.
Buying a diesel these days is rapidly becoming unfashionable due to dpf worries which is going to hit residual values in a big way because even the Daily Mail and Radio 4 have run articles on DPF costs.

[Edited on 17/3/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 17/3/14 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
How does the Motability thing work, is it a list you can choose from or a contribution to whatever you choose?

Scuzzle

posted on 17/3/14 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
I went to an Arnold Clark motability show at the SECC where all the cars are displayed for viewing and the one that caught my attention was the Volvo V40 diesel.
It had decent power, MPG and all the toys with no additional payments required, just the full mobility part of the allowance.

Slimy38

posted on 18/3/14 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
I had a petrol astra last week. OMG its awful. it must have been a 1.6 or something with no turbo so was poooo.

The Hyundai's are good these days.

Kai ok too

Focus good

I haven't drove a ASX but a friend is getting one. Wouldn't get the petrol one if it was me due to lack of power compared to diesel...

I have a petrol Astra hire car waiting for me outside, it's the fourth one I've had and I'm not looking forward to the journey. It's weaker than my old Mark 4 Astra 1.6, and really low spec so it's just nasty.

My money would be on Hyundai or Kia, the i30/Cee'd sized cars are really lovely cars. As BT mentioned DPF's are a worry for me, if you're doing low mileage then it will be even worse for you.

My concern about Mitsubishi would be access to dealers, certainly around here they're very slim pickings. Or is it different for motability cars?

Not Anumber

posted on 18/3/14 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
An hour or so with a pressure washer makes all the difference to a DPF on a diesel Focus. Flush extensively both ways several times until the water start to run clean, reset the warning message and the jobs a good un. Make sure the special fluid is topped up.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 18/3/14 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well, decision made after a test drive. We've gone for the Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi. Drives as well if not bette than the current Golf Mk6 and the mpg figures are better than the VW's stated too. It has the autocar 'car of the year 2014' and I can see why.

We have to pay a one-of payment (technically dead money) as we have gone for a more 'bells and whictles' model, but well worth it.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Not Anumber

posted on 19/3/14 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
Nissan's new generation of engines are quite something from all accounts. The new 1.6 litre Nissan van based London cab provides the same performance but far greater ecconomy than the old 2.5 litre cabs. The old engine is quite long in the tooth now but thst still impressive stuff..

britishtrident

posted on 19/3/14 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Oh dear a Renault by another name.

Renault will go down in history as the company that ruined Nissan's perfect quality record.
My daughters Note has needed new wishbones every year since she got it new and the springs have also been replaced and it hasn't yet reached 45,000 miles.
The sump had to be replace at 30,000 miles because it was porous in several places due to rust. Modern engines tend to use very thin steel for the sump but the material the sump was pressed from was thinner than on any engine I have worked on.
Renault diesels have a track record of big blow ups.

[Edited on 19/3/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

hootsno1

posted on 19/3/14 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
My dad has not long changed his focus mobility car for a bmax 1.0 it has a higher driving position which helps him get in and out a lot easyer
And that 1.0 turbo has a lot of poke and gives good mileage

If a little hammer won't fix it get a bigger hammer

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.