Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Citi Golf donor car
Marty

posted on 21/11/04 at 05:18 AM Reply With Quote
Citi Golf donor car

Does anyone know of a car that has been built from a front wheel drive vehicle? I have a Citi Golf 1 in my garden that is mechanically sound but the body has been eaten away by the coastal rust and humidity here in South Africa. It occurred to me after reading Ron Champion's book that the Golf might make a rear/mid engined car but there are afew problems such as the handbrake and locking the stub axles in position.
zilspeed

posted on 21/11/04 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
These two problems are relatively simple to sort out if you have the skills to build a complete chassis and have these as the only two problems to be dealt with.
The hubs can easily be locked to the straight ahead using fixed length links onto the chassis in replacement for the track rods.
The handbrake - use calipers from a car with disc rear brakes. You may need adapters, but by the time you need to address this problem it won't be a problem any more.

You can do pretty much anything you want if you really want to. Check through the archives in here and you'll see that this really is the case

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 21/11/04 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
First of all to all the boys in Blighty. A CITY Golf was a MK1 golf that was an a cheaper option than the golf 2. The Jetta was renamed the fox and so on. Right now thats out the way.
So here is the car we are dealing with minus the citi stripes.

zilspeed

posted on 21/11/04 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
There used to be one around here a couple of years ago.
"What's the story with the MK Golf with the suspiciously new looking no. plate " ?

It looked 'very' odd.

JoelP

posted on 21/11/04 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
mk1 golfs and camper vans are still made new in brazil, i think. hence 04 plate camper vans! expensive though, i believe...

chrisg

posted on 21/11/04 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
if your'e looking to build a mid engined car then it might be best if you post this in the mid engined section, Lots of people to help there.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Ian Pearson

posted on 21/11/04 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Nice car the Citi Golf. Good luck!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.