Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: soldering and flux
beaver34

posted on 19/12/14 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
soldering and flux

do people use flux when soldering?

if so what type, i seem to struggle with normal solder with flux in, used some paste stuff before and its made the job alot easier

only issue is i cannot remember what it was called so i can buy some

rash12

posted on 19/12/14 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I use laco flux works for me but there are lots of makes
AndyW

posted on 19/12/14 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have always used fluxite and found it perfectly good

Description
Description

bi22le

posted on 19/12/14 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I use fluxed solder.

If the pcb pads and cables are clean it will work fine. Its a little more tricky if your doing big stuff as some irons cant pump the heat in enough so the large wires soak all of the heat away. Is that your issue?

Also make sure you use a suitable sized nib for your iron.

If your talking about soldering copper pipes, i have no idea!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 19/12/14 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Fluxite for me but always had good results with Bakers Fluid..............
rusty nuts

posted on 19/12/14 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Really depends on what you are soldering, for radiator repairs I always use Bakers , for wiring I use fluxes solder wire . As already suggest a decent iron helps . Have a look at gas powered soldering irons for larger cables (or even a welding torch)
mark chandler

posted on 19/12/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Flux centred solder is for electrical work, the stuff for copper pipes is a different mix, bakers flux for me.

[Edited on 19/12/14 by mark chandler]

BenB

posted on 19/12/14 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, very much depends on what you're soldering. For electrical stuff it's resin-cored ready-to-go stuff, for plumbing and car bits (essentially plumbing) it's those tubs of yellow flux that all the DIY superstores sell- works perfectly for me....
big-vee-twin

posted on 19/12/14 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Lead free solder is poo.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

beaver34

posted on 19/12/14 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
sorry its wiring looms for the kit, normally i carnt get the a good enough solder using flux corded stuff

ive got a couple of soldering irons too as i though one was just crap but i seems not to be the case

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 19/12/14 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
With any kind of soldering, cleanliness is next to Godliness, and the correct heat is essential. Tin the wires first, hold together then apply heat and they should just fuse.....
Andi

posted on 19/12/14 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beaver34
sorry its wiring looms for the kit, normally i carnt get the a good enough solder using flux corded stuff

ive got a couple of soldering irons too as i though one was just crap but i seems not to be the case

Ditto...
Always been the same for me. Tried various irons/solder stations etc

Andi

threadbare wallet

posted on 20/12/14 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
As above get heat into the wires,most solder is fine but most use a much to small tip thinking they need precision.you need surface area to get heat into the wire,tin them both before trying attach them,also if trying to do it in the garage(which i presume) the cold or wind will make a difference at work when (i hand solder pcb boards alday) i have a fan pointing to close to my work it will cool the iron enough to effect things so keep this in mind.
Hobby irons somtimes dont have the power either so look at the power rating of the iron and the condition of the tip(if replacable try a new one) also cover the tip with a dap of solder as this helps transfer heat to the work.

Very few things are "really" needed.

posted on 20/12/14 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Although I don't have trouble using flux cored lead solder if you have loads of connections to do then I would
advise investing in a set of crimp pliers and the terminals & heat shrink that go with them.

Description
Description

If you must solder then what most people neglect is the irons copper tip.
Clean it with a file before you heat it / switch it on and tin it with flux & solder before you start to solder terminals.

hth
Paul G

beaver34

posted on 20/12/14 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:

Although I don't have trouble using flux cored lead solder if you have loads of connections to do then I would
advise investing in a set of crimp pliers and the terminals & heat shrink that go with them.

Description
Description

If you must solder then what most people neglect is the irons copper tip.
Clean it with a file before you heat it / switch it on and tin it with flux & solder before you start to solder terminals.

hth
Paul G

thanks paul

ive done the main loom bits with crimps, this is for dash control buttons and other small switches that are fiddle small prongs on the back

02GF74

posted on 20/12/14 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
you trying to solder new or old wires?

the latter may be corroded or oxidised, like the ones in my land rover, splay the filaments out and run them over emery cloth to get a nice shine.

I find that dipping the wire in fluxite helps the folux cored solder flow.

Now I may be treaching you to suck eggs but the way i do it is a follows
- dip wires in fluxite
- put small blob of solder on tip of soldering iron
- place the wires to be soldered in the molten blob of solder
- wait a little bit for the wires to heat up
- introduce the cored solder onto the wires
- if needed run the soldring tip along the wires introducing the solder to the iron tip, it needs to have molten solder on it all the time as the liquid metal is best for transfering heat

snowy2

posted on 21/12/14 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
if your struggling with the self fluxing solder your technique is no good, you apply a small bubble of solder to the iron to "tin " it... the heated tip needs to be CLEAN wipe it on a rag the tip should be shiny, then apply the heat to the wire that needs soldering and apply the soldering wire (the self fluxing type) to the wire and it should flow in to the joint.....easy peasy.
ps....do not heat the joint too much, if the solder forms a spike when you take the solder gun away, it was too hot for to long and the joint could well be unreliable.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

designer

posted on 21/12/14 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
I would never solder anything on a loom. Quality rachet crimpers is the only way.

Soldered joins are unreliable, that's why they are banned for aircraft.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 21/12/14 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
I would never solder anything on a loom. Quality rachet crimpers is the only way.

Soldered joins are unreliable, that's why they are banned for aircraft.

Correct. Any application that requires high reliability, long life and is subject to vibration should use crimp connections for cable looms. Trains, aircraft, spacecraft and any modern car will use crimped connections exclusively for cables.

Using aggressive fluxes designed for plumbing or sheet metalwork (e.g. fluxite) is an especially bad idea, the non activated flux that inevitably remains within the wire and connector will cause corrosion.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.