Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is my steering column mullered ?
Jeffers_S13

posted on 25/11/04 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Is my steering column mullered ?

See various versions of Sierra columns in various thread on the forum. This one came from a seemingly OK H reg Sierra in a scrappy, no signs of any sort of collision in car, yet it appears to be potentially collapsed. I cant find a definitive Yes or No anywhere on the forum.

Please see Sierra Column pic in my archive.

Cheers

James

white130d

posted on 25/11/04 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
NO

The collapsable bit is where the 4 is in 2004. The corrigated bit is where it passes through the fire wall for a decent seal, and to allow for a little wiggle room.

Of couse, I may be wrong, since that kinda car doesn't exist here in the States.

David.

"There's only 2 things that money can't buy, and that's true love and home grown tomatos" Guy Clark

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/11/04 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
this q comes up once in a while, and the general opinoin is it insnt collapsed

atb

steve

Peteff

posted on 25/11/04 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
That's what the adjustable column looks like.

The fixed ones from the lower models have a wavy bit in them where that one looks crushed. That's o.k.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Chris_R

posted on 25/11/04 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's an adjustable one and looks the same. Photo here if you like.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 25/11/04 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
What's the consensus on adjustable columns, worth having?

Only have a fixed column at the moment, can't imagine an adjustable one from scrappies is very much though.

Chris_R

posted on 25/11/04 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
mine was £20 with a key, although I had to search for it in a bucket full of other ford keys.

A bit of slapstick never hurt anyone.

http://www.chris.renney.dsl.pipex.com/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 25/11/04 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Don't complicate it.

People bolt them up solid and don't bother with the adjuster. If you're building the car for you you shouldn't need to move it anyway.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

PioneerX

posted on 26/11/04 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with Peteff, I have removed the adjuster and blotted mine up tight as I dont want it movable.

I can also confirm that the column does look like the one you have. The colapable section is the triangluar rod that can slide in the mating tube. The rod also has a cut-out in it to provide a week point in case the rod makes it all the way to the end of the tube.

DarrenW

posted on 26/11/04 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
My father took car to Gosforth SVA recently with fixed column and std Sierra wheel. One fail point was that the inspector didnt have full control of vehicle because his knees hit wheel and prevented control of pedals. Adjustable column would have overcome this. Of course the point was arguable but this guy wont issue certficate until corrected, even though my father is smaller and can control the vehicle no problem. So on this occasion, adjustable column would have been beneificial.

Jeffers_S13

posted on 26/11/04 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. As its a talking point Im going to remove all the adustment bits and bobs and weld on similar looking mounting tabs, frees up a bit of space near the handbrake handle aswell, as its all a bit tight under there now.

[Edited on 26/11/04 by Jeffers_S13]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.