Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.0L Pinto Info Needed
andyharding

posted on 16/1/05 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
2.0L Pinto Info Needed

I've decided to abondon using a Zetec due to cost and I' going to use a 2.0L Pinto instead.

I read that the 205 block is the one to have? But this is only used in EFI cars?

I want to run it off a standard carb to keep things simple, can you just bolt up a 2.0L carb and manifold to the EFI head?

Any further Pinto info that might help would also be great!

Thanks in advance.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Peteff

posted on 16/1/05 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
EFI head has egg shaped intakes but the standard manifold covers the hole. We used one and it worked o.k.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

andyace

posted on 16/1/05 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I got a 1988 E Reg 200 GL Sierra Sapphire with a 205 Block (Non injection)

Yet to clean up the cylinder head to see if it can run on unleaded, the people were using additive when I bought it.

JJM

posted on 16/1/05 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
205 blocks are preferred but not essential.200 block will do just as well-just make sure you get decent rod bolts-ARP or the like-i found this out the expensive way.Yes injection heads run unleaded as standard-any others dont.Make sure if you get injection head you get NON-injection inlet manifold gasket as this covers the tear drop shaped inlet-another problem i found out the hard way.Apparently injection rods are better too??Yes any pinto inlet will fit.

[Edited on 16/1/05 by JJM]

tractorboy

posted on 16/1/05 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
im running a 205 block from an e plate carberettered sierra with no problems to date.
andyharding

posted on 16/1/05 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info guys!

I would have thought it would take a long time with the mileage done by a locost to toast a non unleaded head?

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

Spriggsy

posted on 17/1/05 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
If you have a non-unleaded head you can always get new unleaded valve seats put in.
Rob Allison

posted on 17/1/05 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy. Here is a bit of pinto info for you. I have been hunting down pinto tuning info for a bit now to build up a cheap pinto turbo unit, so I’ve been through what is good and not so good.
Some of the best info is in the pinto tuning book, think you can get it on Amazon. Although I do have it on .pdf files it is covered by copyright so can't post it here.
I also found some info at http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/pinto.htm and have attached this as a word doc. any problems with this and pumarracing's copyright then the Mods on the board can delete it.

The pintos life is as follows:

Blocks with castings 16 and 20 are the first generation of the engine. These were in a wide range of Fords until approx. 1981 - 2 although there could be a few years of overlap.
These are the engines to keep away from for tuning and most will require leaded petrol unless the head has been changed.

The next developments were castings 165 (1600cc), 185 (1800cc) and 205 (2000cc).
These are thicker castings and will take overboring for a 2100cc build on the 205. The conrods are also stronger too.

Next were the Cosworth blocks. The 2wd Sierra's were fitted with the 205 block. It’s the same as the 2.0 EFi, but they were best quality blocks picked from the production line. The internal parts on the Cosworth engine and the EFi are different though.
The 200 block was fitted to the 4wd Cosworths. This is a lot heavier than the 205 block as it is a stronger casting.
The other Cosworth block was the RS500 block this is the strongest block. It was designed for the 500bhp+ of the touring cars.

But back to the 205. There are 3 different types.

The carb’ed engine and the Efi are two of them. The main difference is the head. The Efi is the one to go for. This has hardened valve seats and the egg shaped inlet port. It is said to flow better than the carb’ed one (some may disagree). The Carb’ed one could be for leaded or not. You would need to check the casting number on the head to check. I’ll post them when I get home later.
The other one is the Transit or P100 engine. This is mostly the same as the carb’ed one, but it is a low compression engine. The standard pinto has a CR of 9.2:1 the Transit is 8.2:1. Good for a turbo install.
The difference is the pistons, which are interchangeable with the car type.

Rob

JJM

posted on 17/1/05 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
With regard to unleaded heads the letters 'P', 'PP', 'R' or 'RR' are the codes to look for near number 4 spark plug hole if i recall.

HTH's.

Rob Allison

posted on 17/1/05 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Engine number codes
1.3 - JCT
1.6 - LCS,LCT,LSD and LSE
1.8 - REB and RED
2.0 - NES and NET (carb)
NRB and N4A (injection)
NAE (P100) Transit maybe the same.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.