Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reverse Switch Conumdrum
Partofthechaos

posted on 27/1/22 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Reverse Switch Conumdrum

Evening All,

I have a problem with my reverse switch. As the car has not been IVAed it will need reversing lights, but the switch on the gearbox is perfectly lined up with a chassis rail. I was thinking about blanking this and having a plunger or reed style switch behind the gearstick itself. The RX8 gearbox is a 5 speed, with reverse where 6th would be. This is the best option that I can think of, I wondered if there were any alternatives or if there could be an issue with a gearstick switch?

I'm reluctant to chop up the chassis. Partly because my welding skills are currently non-existent, and partly because I think it would protrude through the tunnel panel into the passenger footwell so could be vulnerable.

Thanks in advance.

Reverse 1
Reverse 1

gremlin1234

posted on 27/1/22 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
a proximity switch on the gear lever should probably work.
but do you have to do anything with the leaver before you can select reverse. - ie lift the leaver, or push it down? you might be able to detect that movement instead of the leaver position

also note MOT have requirements for reverse light now. dependant on its registration age. (as well as the sva regs) , so tested each year

Partofthechaos

posted on 27/1/22 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
That's good to know, thank you. With that reassurance I think I will go with a blank on the 'box and see where to put a switch when I'm onto the interior and electrics.

I don't think there is a specific process to go to reverse, other than you can't go directly from 5th, you have to go via neutral.

SteveWalker

posted on 27/1/22 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
You don't actually have to have the reversing light(s) operating automatically - a manual switch is still acceptable, as long as you have a tell-tale warning lamp to remind you that it/they are on.
Partofthechaos

posted on 28/1/22 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, useful to know! Hopefully I can get something to work, but if not I will have a switch on the dash. Either way no reason to hold back because of not being able to fit the official switch.
Sanzomat

posted on 28/1/22 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
You don't actually have to have the reversing light(s) operating automatically - a manual switch is still acceptable, as long as you have a tell-tale warning lamp to remind you that it/they are on.

I'm not sure what that is based on? Maybe true for vehicles first used pre 2009? - extract below from the current MOT testers manual regarding reverse lights:

4.6.3 Switching
You must inspect all reversing lamps fitted to vehicles first used from 1 September 2009.
Reversing lamps must operate automatically when reverse gear is selected and extinguish when
reverse gear is deselected.

gremlin1234

posted on 28/1/22 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

yep good call on that, I had forgotten that little loophole

DanP

posted on 28/1/22 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:

yep good call on that, I had forgotten that little loophole

+1

Had exact issue with LT77 gearbox position in a Viento, removed the switch and put it on a savage switch on the dash, not problem with SVA.

gremlin1234

posted on 28/1/22 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanzomat
quote:

I'm not sure what that is based on? Maybe true for vehicles first used pre 2009? - extract below from the current MOT testers manual regarding reverse lights:

4.6.3 Switching
You must inspect all reversing lamps fitted to vehicles first used from 1 September 2009.
Reversing lamps must operate automatically when reverse gear is selected and extinguish when
reverse gear is deselected.

the current iva test manual and the new one coming in april both state (my bold)

"They must operate by selection of reverse gear or be fitted with a tell-tale
warning device. "

Edit, but indeed the MOT test manual has different criteria!
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#sect ion-4-6-3

[Edited on 28/1/22 by gremlin1234]

Partofthechaos

posted on 28/1/22 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
OK, so for the MOT test it needs to be automatic, looks like I need to put more effort into the gearstick switch idea before I abandon it then.

"4.6.3. Switching

You must inspect all reversing lamps fitted to vehicles first used from 1 September 2009 other than quadricycles and Class 3 vehicles.

Reversing lamps must operate automatically when reverse gear is selected and extinguish when reverse gear is deselected."

SteveWalker

posted on 28/1/22 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
The MOT is not supposed to fail unmodified homologated vehicles. There is a big problem if IVAd vehicles have to meet a higher standard at MOT than at IVA!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.