Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: lolocost spax coilovers
Lars

posted on 19/1/03 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
lolocost spax coilovers

has anyone fitted these on a locost? do they fit, as they have different measurements to the ones in the book.

also is the nosecone from lolocost the cheapest/best for a standard locost?

JohnFol

posted on 20/1/03 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Yellow, with red springs, yes.

Have suspension set up with this arrangement. Currently at the "chassis nearly finished stage".

What would you like to know?

Lars

posted on 20/1/03 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
are the coilovers long enough, cause in the book it says min of 356mm extended length, but the lolocost ones are 317mm open length.

cheers

JohnFol

posted on 20/1/03 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
...and have a travel is about half ..
JohnFol

posted on 20/1/03 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Lars, I can certainly send you some pics and other information. Been a bit busy today, so drop me a line with all the questions yuo can think of and I'll get them answered.

Has anyone else used these same shocks??

Rorty

posted on 21/1/03 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
It sounds as if you want part # G451 or G775, but I suggest you get in touch with Spax, or have a look at their catalogue, as they have coilovers for dozens of applications.
I have used them for years, as they've been around long before the likes of AVO and Nitrothingy, though I currently prefer AVO, on a price/specification basis.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Lars

posted on 21/1/03 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
John if you could post a pic with shocks in place that would be nice.

also could someone tell me about the dampertech shocks, if i go for these do i need the smaller ones or the bigger ones.

sting

posted on 22/1/03 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
just thought i mention this.
only matters if you plan on keeping your car but i think the spax are not rebuildable therefore avo or gaz would be a better option as they both are.

cheers
Sting

JohnFol

posted on 22/1/03 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Front left Rescued attachment FrontLeft.JPG
Rescued attachment FrontLeft.JPG

JohnFol

posted on 22/1/03 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Back with wheels
Rescued attachment back again.JPG
Rescued attachment back again.JPG

JohnFol

posted on 22/1/03 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Back axle
Rescued attachment back.JPG
Rescued attachment back.JPG

Lars

posted on 22/1/03 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
cheers

car is looking good

Fast Westie

posted on 23/1/03 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
John
Small piece of advice. When you finally mount your shocks point the adjusters rearward on the front and inwards on the rear. That way you will be abit to adjust them easily

The car in front is a Westfield

JohnFol

posted on 23/1/03 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
cheers chap!
dozracing

posted on 11/3/03 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have sold over 400 of my shocks for the locost, without a single return or complaint. They are £220 per set including VAT and springs. They are made from billet anodise aluminium components and the shock cartridges are made to my design by an OE supplier to Mercedes etc..

See them on my website and download an drawing showing the dimensions that are correct for a Locost. www.gtscougar.freeserve.co.uk

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JohnFol

posted on 12/3/03 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
Based on that, I hope your experience can answer a question for me.

The mounts for the shocks are simple brackets, the same basic design as the suspension mounts. The suspension mounts use a tube through which the bolt passes, and the bush goes around. This means the bracket can be clamped tightly, as it's only compressing the tube and not the bush.

For the shock, is the same true? Should I be inserting a tube through the shock eyelet, through which the bolt passes??

barrie sharp

posted on 12/3/03 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
John which way up should your shocks be !
cant answer your last post but i have just put washers as spacers and tightened it up
chassis looks good though

dozracing

posted on 12/3/03 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
As the shocks are rubber bushes they have a steel tube in them already to which to clamp the u bracket. The rubber then deforms around the insert. This keeps the friction of the suspension system low unlike polybushes which have high friction and need to slide around the insert in order to provide movement.
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

dozracing

posted on 12/3/03 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
All the types of shocks we discuss on here ie GTS, Spax, AVO and GAZ and most budget shocks should be mounted with the chromed rod pointing up. They do not work inverted. There are claims by Spax etc that they work upside down and they do to a fashion but not as you would like. There is more tendency to leak upside down.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.