Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Silver powdercoat.
Peteff

posted on 20/11/05 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Silver powdercoat.

Not a locost but may apply to anyone thinking about chassis finishing. A friend of a friend had a bike frame done in silver and was highly delighted with it, looked superb and had been cleaned and everything before it was done. 2 months later the finish turned back to powder. The coaters have been very good about it and have offered to strip and redo it but have told him it will have to be black as they are not guaranteeing the silver as there have been too many failures. He's happy with that but it's been an inconvenience.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Danozeman

posted on 20/11/05 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Thats a bit of a sod. Did they not bake them long enough?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Peteff

posted on 20/11/05 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
He doesn't know what's caused it as it's all been done to the letter. His theory is a bad batch of powder or a reaction

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

RoadkillUK

posted on 20/11/05 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
My wheels have been powdercoated in silver, well over a year ago (possibly 2).

They seem fine still, still holding the air in. Although one has damage due to hitting a wall.

Must've been a dodgy batch but I don't see why he can't have silver again.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
G.Man

posted on 20/11/05 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
My Kart was silver powdercoated, had no issues at all...

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

big_wasa

posted on 20/11/05 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
My powder coaters will do any colour you like.

As long as its black

Rorty

posted on 20/11/05 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Silver is a very popular choice for bike frames, garden furniture, wheel rims etc. etc. I don't think people should start panicing over the colour silver!
I can only imagine that it was wrongly baked, or that there may have been some chemical rust treatment on the metal which wasn't removed prior to coating.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fozzie

posted on 20/11/05 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I had my spare wheel carrier, wishbones, headlamp brackets and a few other bits powder coated in silver, absolutely no problems whatsoever!
I can only concur with above, that something went wrong in the process, or, product used by your mates powder coaters.
Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

smart51

posted on 21/11/05 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
The bodyshell of my smart is powder coated in silver and I've had no problems with it. Same with my last smart.

I used to work at a company which owned a powder coating booth. They powder coated wheels and metal doors and alsorts in silver. Durable and good looking.

Powder coat is just plastic granules stuck to metal by static. It is baked in an oven to melt the plastic together. If it turned back to powder again then they either did it wrong or the powder was faulty.

Baldrick

posted on 22/11/05 at 02:57 AM Reply With Quote
It's all down to prep and the ability of the company. I had a bike frame powder coated in Canada and it was a lovely job - possibly a bit thick but with excellent adhesion - as I found out when I wanted to add a lug later. I had my wishbones, links etc done (in silver btw) by a company in Aberdeen and although it was a lovely finish, it was thin and hard and chipped off with even the tiniest knock.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.