Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Places to learn to drive
phelpsa

posted on 5/2/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Places to learn to drive

Are there any old airfields etc in the south of england where I could go to learn to drive? I'm looking at buying an old Fiesta but I don't have anywhere to drive it.

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 5/2/06 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
Talk your Dad into buying a farm Adam .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 5/2/06 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
it used to be supermarkets til they started opening sundays, but you can still find large carparks for places that arent open weekends - the place that would spring to mind for me would be the local car auction carpark, im sure there will be similar places local to you. Obviously you are also meant to be insured in these places nowadays, but i cant see the point in an empty carpark. Someone will undoubtedly bleat on about the grannies you will run over in an empty car park, personally i couldnt care less... (about the law that is, not the old dears. In fact, im off to see them now )
blueshift

posted on 5/2/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you drive around in a public place (like a carpark) with a license or insurance, and attract the attention of the police either through curiosity or being reported by some concerned git, you risk being taken to court.
Peteff

posted on 5/2/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean without a license? If the car is taxed, tested and insured for someone to drive to and from the site and is not being driven in a manner likely to cause a grievance, squealing tyres and no silencer, then I can't see a problem with using a deserted carpark to familiarise yourself with controls as long as you acknowledge that it does belong to someone and their rights are foremost. The police have started a campaign round here to cut down on vehicles being used recklessly on footpaths and public rights of way and have my full support as I was almost mown down by two on a trailbike doing stupid speed on a footpath less than a metre wide. They swerved into the hawthorn hedge and were both well scratched, my dog ran off terrified and took me half an hour to find her. I threatened them with the police and they were adamant they had the right to ride on there as their dad said so. Concerned Git seems to be the name for a public spirited citizen these days. If it was a stolen car being driven round the carpark then torched would they still be gits ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

zetec

posted on 5/2/06 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do the car park thing you'll get nicked. there are loads of old airfields in Essex/Kent, find one and chat with the farmer who owns it maybe..

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

phelpsa

posted on 5/2/06 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Greenham common is just down the road from me and i think it is full of offices etc. now (looked on google earth). There is also a runway there but im not sure whether all that is fenced off.

Unfortunately most of the carparks around my area are barriered off when the shops arent open to stop people driving in them

Adam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 5/2/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Greenham common now:

Driving on it could be a problem!

Adam

Messenjah

posted on 5/2/06 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
weve got a carpark for the footy stadium that everyone learns to drive in here but youre miles away lol

ill speak to my auntie see if she can think of anywhere she lives down that way

DarrenW

posted on 6/2/06 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Most o fthe tracks do driving courses for the under 17's. Could be worth a try.

My first lesson was at Croft. Alas not on the track but along the old runway that i think is now the car park. I dont think this would be allowed these days.

Your only other option is approaching a land owner that has a private road.

David Jenkins

posted on 6/2/06 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Your only other option is approaching a land owner that has a private road.

If they're reasonably clued-in, they'll tell you to go away because of liability worries, accident risks, etc. If I was a land owner, I'd do the same - the fear of being sued is too great.

David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.