Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The stripping dilemma, inputs appreciated
robertst

posted on 5/2/06 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
The stripping dilemma, inputs appreciated

Hi again:
well, i have already found my donor, a 1987 Sierra 2.0 GLX, for 200 quid!!!!!!! but thats not my dilemma.
after i buy the car i will need a place to store it while building the chassis and stripping it later. THats the dilemma. you see, i dont really have an open garage or peaceful neighbours either. my garage is a shared one and in order for the dismantlers to come pick up the wreck after stripping with their huge lorry with a huge crane to loft the wreck, the car will obviously need to be outside the garage. now, i have planned out a trial procedure in order to plan the order in which i shall strip the car down so as to maximize my time in the garage and outside, whilst not bothering my easily annoyable neighbours and/or having to tow the car with all the scraping and noise.
please, any comments will be appreciated:

So, inside the garage i plan to:
1.remove the engine, gearbox, radiator, etc, everything EXCEPT the drivetrain, steering column and brake system (i'll explain later)
2. remove wiring loom, electrics, etc.

and then i will need to tow the car out to the exterior parking lot (it's a private lot) hence the need for the wheels, steering and brakes, and whatnot.
another difficulty is that this parking lot is on a gradient! so it will make removing the axles and wheels much more difficult. but i have another procedure that could work.

1. by engaging the handbrake, and putting wheel studs to avoid the back wheels from even vibrating, i plan to jack the front up, put axle stands and take care of the front.
2. then, using friction as an advantage, with no wheels or front axle for that matter, i will do the same thing, but for the rear axle.

about the neighbours, i guess i can cover the wreck with one of these car covers.

so, there you go... a very long and complicated procedure, but i guess it can be done if i can order the operations the best way as possible. thats where you guys come in. any suggestions, extra procedures, safety, etc?

thanks!!!!

Avoneer

posted on 5/2/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean a shared drive - not garage?

Anyhow, strip the shell completely in your garage and weld 4 cheap B&Q castors on the shell to roll it down the drive to the collecting truck!

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave-69isit

posted on 5/2/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
striping cars

were are you baced
dave-69isit

posted on 5/2/06 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
based

robertst

posted on 5/2/06 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
umm... i'm in Madrid, and yes its a shared drive. but theres also a shared garage with 6 cars or so. B&Q?? wats that?
JoelP

posted on 5/2/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
b&q is a hardware store found all over the UK

your plan is generally sound. However, the handbrake alone is sufficient for low speed manoevering, so you can remove the brakes inside too. Axle stands arent necessary when removing wheels, just drop it onto the removed wheels! Take the nut off the top of the front struts before you jack it up. For the back, remove the full subframe (6 bolts, shocks and cut the cables/pipes.)

omega 24 v6

posted on 5/2/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
OK so your in sunny SPain here's the plan.
Invite all your mates to a car stripping barbeque where you supply all the food and beer.
Hire a trailer and pick up the car in the morning and transport it home. Mate's arrive and strip the car in one day and store away all the parts. All of you lift the shell back onto the trailer and take it to scrap merchant and drop off trailer. Home in time for tea (barbeque) and get well bladdered in celebration. You could invite the neighbours to the barbie to too keep the peace.
Job done.

SixedUp

posted on 5/2/06 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Been part of something close to this in action, and it works well. It's a formidable sight.

Most neighbours will cope with a single day of disruption, especially if warned well in advance and bribed with a bottle or two. Of course, if they don't then you have all your mates with you to help back you up...!

Cheers
Richard

zilspeed

posted on 5/2/06 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely agree with the above.

If you can get the neighbours onside beforehand you'll keep the peace.
I'll be having a concrete mixer (spotmix) outside my house in a couple of weeks. It'll only be there for around 40 minutes, but it'll be early on a Saturday morning. I intend speaking to all the neighbours beforehand and making peace before we fall out.
I honestly think this is your best course of action.

ned

posted on 5/2/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
i didn't really think about the collection of the stripped donor when i did mine, ended up putting some old board/pallets on the drive and just dragging it out with the everyday car. I needn't have worrried, the salvage truck winched it out of the narrow driveway onto the road anyway before loading it on the back of the truck!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Johnmor

posted on 5/2/06 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
For B&Q in Spain

see "Leroy Mervin"

dave_w11
Junior Builder

Posts 45
Registered 20/12/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: A bookish chassis. Engine still undecided.

posted on 5/2/06 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I did the entire strip in the garage and then just put back the bare minimum of what was required to put the wheels back on to roll it out the garage and down a downhill shared drive. There were 3 of us to stop it and we were going to put an old trailer behind for it to bump into just for incase it tried to get away.

As it was it took 3 of us to get it to go down the hill. We took it backwards and with the steering rack not attached the wheels splayed out and acted as brakes whenever we tried to push it so it wasn't going anywhere far of it's own accord.

The rest of the stripping (just taking the wheels and rear axle back off) were done in the morning before the scrap man arrived. Check the weather forecast first though. Wasn't much fun in the rain

Baldrick

posted on 6/2/06 at 04:21 AM Reply With Quote
Your procedure is fine but once it's outside why jack the car up?. My mate and I just pushed the whole car up onto it's side (you're not worried about the shell are you) and stripped everything out much easier that way (with an angle grinder mostly). Once finished you can push it back over onto old pallets or something so the removers can get a strap unter if required. You can still cover it if it offends the neighbors. My wife's face when she returned and found the car outside the house on it's side was priceless!
robertst

posted on 6/2/06 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
thank you all for your inputs, some are very amusing and imaginative, but i think it might be best to probably strip it in the garage and then weld something on it to take it out of there... i'll post some pics so u get an idea of what i'm talking about..

cheers!

DaveFJ

posted on 6/2/06 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
you will be surprised how light it is when you have removed the engine/gearbox and all the rest of the running gear (drop the entire rear assembly). I found I could lift either end on my own so the wife could slip a couple of old skateboards under the rear then I just lifted the front and wheeled out onto the drive!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

robertst

posted on 6/2/06 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
you will be surprised how light it is when you have removed the engine/gearbox and all the rest of the running gear (drop the entire rear assembly). I found I could lift either end on my own so the wife could slip a couple of old skateboards under the rear then I just lifted the front and wheeled out onto the drive!

u serious?? whoah that would make everything so much easier! then i wouldnt have to go through the hassle of taking it outside and stuff..

anyways here is a pic of my garage. my space is around 4 metres wide and 5 deep and is well away from the exit .

DaveFJ

posted on 6/2/06 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
is that a slope up to get out ? may prove a little harder..........

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

robertst

posted on 6/2/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
no, its horizontal.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.