Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Engined Single Seater Progress
lsdweb

posted on 23/4/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Engined Single Seater Progress

Hi All

My R1 Single Seater is actually starting to look like a car! It's now rolling and the exhaust manifold is finished (an absolute work of art!).

There are a couple of jobs left to do - fit the rear bodywork and the gear linkage and then it'll be coming home for wiring, plumbing, brakes etc..

I've given up on getting it ready for my first event (Llandow) on the 13th May but will concentrate on getting it ready for a test session before Pembrey mid June. Whilst I'm disappointed it won't be ready for my deadline I'm chuffed at the way it's turned out!

There are update photos here - scroll to the bottom of the page.

Regards

Wyn

Volvorsport

posted on 23/4/06 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
whos your mate with a darrian , terry brown ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

nitram38

posted on 23/4/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
It looks very good.
For my next road car I want to build a chassis similar to the ariel atom, but use an R1 engine.
Could you tell me the approxemate dimensions of your engine and also where you got your diff from?

Regards Martin

lsdweb

posted on 23/4/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Volvorsport - he's a guy called Mydrian Harries - now runs a Radical - very quick but had a biggish crash in pre season practice.

Martin, I don't have the car here so can't measure the engine but it's pretty compact and I'm sure the dimesnions are out there already. The diff is from Quaife - it's their chain driven diff (Fiesta ATB) - the carrier was made in house and ery nice it is too - loads of scope for adjustment and various sprockets.

Regards

Wyn

nitram38

posted on 23/4/06 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Wyn!

RazMan

posted on 23/4/06 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good - should be a hoot to drive

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 24/4/06 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Raz

It's going to be scary to drive! The leap from road going Locost (190BHP - 530kg) to full slicks and wings ('only' 160BHP but very light) will be huge!

Wyn

rv1890

posted on 24/4/06 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
Where did you source your uprights from?I need something low profile like those and that stays tucked in away almost flush with the rim.
lsdweb

posted on 24/4/06 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
The uprights are the original Swift FF2000 ones - don't know where you'd get them from although there are loads of suppliers of pre owned race car bits.
jimgiblett

posted on 24/4/06 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Martin,

If you need to get fairly accurate dimensions I have an R1 crankcase (ie top and bottom halves) which you are welcome to borrow. This would be ideal to use for making up mounts etc.

Cheers

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
It looks very good.
For my next road car I want to build a chassis similar to the ariel atom, but use an R1 engine.
Could you tell me the approxemate dimensions of your engine and also where you got your diff from?

Regards Martin

nitram38

posted on 24/4/06 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
Martin,

If you need to get fairly accurate dimensions I have an R1 crankcase (ie top and bottom halves) which you are welcome to borrow. This would be ideal to use for making up mounts etc.

Cheers

Jim

quote:
It looks very good.

Regards Martin

Jim, thanks for the offer, that would be brilliant.
I will try to arrange to come and see you in a couple of weeks as I am a bit busy.
What part of Sussex are you in?
When I get my car sva-ed, it will be an excuse for a ride out.
I originally come from Bognor Regis (born Rustington).

TimC

posted on 24/4/06 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Wyn

You going to go down to Llandow on the 13th for a look anyway?

Will be there and it'd be cool to say hello if you'tre around.

TC

lsdweb

posted on 24/4/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Tim

I'll come along (live just west of Llanelli so it's not so far - spent a lot of time there a few years ago). Let me know what car number you are and I'll wander over for a chat - I'll be the miserable one sulking because I'm not playing!

Regards

Wyn

jimgiblett

posted on 26/4/06 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
You have U2U

Cheers

Jim

quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
Martin,

Cheers

Jim

quote:
It looks very good.

Regards Martin

lsdweb

posted on 10/7/06 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All

I'm slowly making progress - some pictures here scroll down to the photos near the bottom of the page.

I'm pretty pleased I've managed to get the throttle bodies to fit the early (carbed) head - now got a set of R1 carbs for sale!

Wyn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.