Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: problems with svc led indicator resistor packs
ned

posted on 15/5/06 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
problems with svc led indicator resistor packs

I've read before that others have had problems with these but can't find the solution.

All my indicators and hazards are working correctly from the switches etc so I know my wiring is good. I am getting the correct flash rate when the hazards are turned on but am getting a much faster rate when only the indicators are on.

I know this is due to the led's being very low wattage compared to a normal bulb and purchased the resistor packs at the same time as the led lights from the same supplier, s-v-c.

I have car side repeaters and 21w 12v motorbike front indicators which all work correctly in the circuit.

I have tried connecting the supplied resistor packs inline to the rear led's and also parallel to earth (like another bulb in the circuit) I have also tried reversing the polarities on both occassions and no combination of wiring them into the circuit has made any difference whatsoever.

I have rung s-v-c and Steve is away on holiday this week and the guy there didn't really have a clue - he started talking about old bimetalic strips and flasher counts as used in old cars or something after i told him i had a modern flasher relay.

I think I've been quite comprehensive in trying to sort this out so far, but if someone has some advice or solution that worked with these parts on their car then any help would be appreciated.

cheers,

Ned.

ps I can't believe the resistor packs are faulty, 1 i could understand but both would be too much of a coincidence though I have though about it.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 15/5/06 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
They should definatly go in parralel with the LED lamp unit.
have you tried just sticking an indicator bulb in place of the LED unit to see what happens?
Colin

mookaloid

posted on 15/5/06 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem - turned out that the front motorbike indicator bulbs I had were not 21w but somewhat lower, 12w I think.

Replaced them with 21watters and all was ok.

Cheers

Mark

zxrlocost

posted on 15/5/06 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem last week on my r1 bike loom and LED front indicators not enough load basically mate

resistors supplied did they work NO!!!
even with an extra resistor

basic solution wired in another bulb and hid it or cover with black tape

afterall its not as if the bulb is going to be on permenantly getting real hot

and yes the proper way is supposed to be resistors but if they dont do the job it aint no good is it
ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

ned

posted on 15/5/06 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the suggestions so far. i'll double check the bulbs in the bike indicators and will try with an extra bulb in the circuit and report back...

Ned.

right, dismantled the bike indicator and checked the bulb which is marked as 21w/12v though in dismantling it i seem to have broken it

i connected up a 21w car bulb in its place and another 21w bulb elsewhere in the circuit to earth and the flash rate is now much slower as it should be. this confirms that the resistors aren't doing their job. i'll swap the bike indicator from the other side just to rule that out entirely even though the bulb is marked correctly.

[Edited on 15/5/06 by ned]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega 24 v6

posted on 15/5/06 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

and yes the proper way is supposed to be resistors but if they dont do the job it aint no good is it

Actually this is a botched way to do the job and is seemingly universal in the industry. It does not under any circumstances show up a bulb failure (unlike a fast flashing unit does). It's all a bit of a fast fix that no one's found a proper way round yet.
It should defo be in parrallel.
You can get flasher units that are timed regardless of load as well.

ned

posted on 15/5/06 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
You can get flasher units that are timed regardless of load as well.

what are they called, where from and how much?

i was aware different flasher units exist for led's but was of the impression that the entire circuit had to run leds for them to work correctly and a mixture of bulbs/led's was no good?

Ned.

bernie955

posted on 15/5/06 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
They should be electronic instead of mechanical, so should work with both.
k33ts

posted on 15/5/06 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
mine worked ok they go in parrallel
ie, one end to supply wire other end to earth try connecting it nearer the stalk.

tukcustoms.com

ned

posted on 15/5/06 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
ok, no idea what i did differently - i tried it again after lunch with a mate on the other end of the phone and it worked!

seems peculiar as i'd swear i'd connected it up exactly the same earlier in the day but at least now its working.

cheers all,

Ned

James

posted on 15/5/06 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
- i tried it again after lunch

Nother hard day at the office then! :-/

Right, that's it, I'm going off-sick the rest of the week!

Cheers,
Jim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

ned

posted on 15/5/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Right, that's it, I'm going off-sick the rest of the week!

Cheers,
Jim

thats good of you james i could use some help bleeding the brakes during my week off and i gather you've plenty of experience at this

Ned.

James

posted on 15/5/06 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Right! That's it. I'm having words with your boss!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.