Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mondeo - leaking sump seal - should a service/MOT have spotted it?
Just

posted on 5/9/06 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Mondeo - leaking sump seal - should a service/MOT have spotted it?

I have found an oil leak on the family bus - looks like between the sump and the block. I had it serviced and MOTd last week - is it reasonable to be miffed that this was not spotted or ignored?

I don't have any reason to suspect this is as a result of their work but I am not sure I want to take it back there for them to take the sump off if they can't spot an oil leak next to the drain plug.

So, how easy is it to DIY - 1999 Zetec 2.0?

roadboy

posted on 5/9/06 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Strange for these sumps to leak as they have a thick rubber gasket in a groove in the sump. Check it is not a leak from the filter running down or just some oil spilt from the filter when they changed it & did not clean up. If you want to change the gasket it is very easy after removing the exhaust under the sump.
HTH
Ian

Jude Performance Services

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Just

posted on 5/9/06 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, will check the filter and see if there is oil around that they missed, but there seems a fair bit of it. As it is a 1999 it doesn't have the gasket apparently, just gasket sealant.
stevebubs

posted on 5/9/06 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Just
Thanks, will check the filter and see if there is oil around that they missed, but there seems a fair bit of it. As it is a 1999 it doesn't have the gasket apparently, just gasket sealant.

Someone's telling you porkies.

The blacktop zetec has a 2 piece sump.

The ally upper piece is attached to the crank case in the same manner as previous incarnations - using a metal&rubber gasket which fits into a groove

The steel lower part is attached to the ally upper piece using sealant but this stuff is *strong*. Ended up having to bang mine back into shape once I'd finally got it removed.

Are you sure the sump bolt isn't leaking or something like that?

Just

posted on 5/9/06 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, it's the lower steel part then - Haynes didn't enlighten me on the upper section.
Dusty

posted on 5/9/06 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Its a pain to do properly but dead easy. Drain the oil. Undo17bolts with an 8mm socket. Then lever it off and bash the flange flat again. Scrape off the sealant from both faces. Takes at least an hour. Redo sealant and bolt it back up. None of the bolts go into the oil so its the sealant that has failed. Rescued attachment DSCI0006.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCI0006.JPG

JamJah

posted on 5/9/06 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
I had a MOT where they failed to spot the alternator had met the maker inthe sky. It got home but then wouldnt start as battery was flatter than a pancake!

The quote from VOSA when I complained about the competance of the test centre was "An MOT is not a proof of vechile roadworthness."
Did call the woman who penned that gem, she hung up on me and although wasnt disaplined on her quote (as its legally true) was then sacked for her approach to customers!

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/9/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamJah
I had a MOT where they failed to spot the alternator had met the maker inthe sky. It got home but then wouldnt start as battery was flatter than a pancake!

Sorry Common misconception by vehicle owners & drivers. The MOT is not & does not check the ability of a vehicles starting abilities. If the vehicle starts and is in the Testers opinion 'FIT TO TEST' then it gets tested. IF an alternator fails during the test but allows the test to be completed then the tester might comment on it. If it fails during the test but gives no outward symptoms because the battery is man enough to finish the test then how would the tester know. IT IS NOT a TESTABLE ITEM.

Sorry for the rant jamjah but it is because of short sighted misconceptions like this that I decided to stop doing somthing that I liked.

Oh and don't forget that the MOT test is based around a vehicle that might have been built in 1914ish.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

coozer

posted on 5/9/06 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
If testers failed cars for oil leaks there would hardly be any on the roads. If teh leak is enough to coat the whole undersize of your floorpan thin this can have a couple of advantages.

1. Stop the rot! Stops bolts seizing up and floors from rotting.

2. MOT testers tend to shy away from oily under floor areas. Stops them poking about to much with that dreaded screwdriver!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.