Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: oil pressure sender r1
adrian

posted on 5/9/06 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
oil pressure sender r1

how do I go connecting an oil pressure sender
apart from drilling and tapping the oil cooler bolt,as im restricted with access

ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/9/06 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
You could do it with a sandwich plate on the oil filter housing but there's a bolt on the clutch end of the block somewhere which taps directly into the gallery for the main bearings etc that people have used before, and also one on the head near No1 exhaust port I think.
Sorry its a bit vague but Ive tapped mine into my remote oil filter housing so haven't spent too much time looking for the other options

[Edited on 5/9/06 by ChrisGamlin]

lsdweb

posted on 5/9/06 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Adrian

You can see how I did it by going here and clicking the link to Engine / ECU and then following the link to oil temperature and pressure senders, or just click here

Regards

Wyn

Coose

posted on 5/9/06 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Or do as Mr Yamaha did and not bother. It just gives you more to worry about, and by the time you notice there's something wrong it's too late anyway!

Spin 'er off Well...

chockymonster

posted on 5/9/06 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlinalso one on the head near No1 exhaust port I think.

I'd advise against this one.
The bolt is an M6x1.0 thread which makes the adaptor very delicate. I tried this route and now have a sheared off piece of adaptor in the side of the head.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adrian

posted on 5/9/06 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
does anyone know where the bolt near theclutch housing is? this sounds the best bet in my application, thanks
lsdweb

posted on 5/9/06 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Adrian

I contemplated going into the block but the oil cooler bolt won hands down because if I fu**ed drilling and tapping the thread all I needed to do was change the bolt, not try and repair the block!

Wyn

ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/9/06 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to my mate who has used this location and he said that its found to the bottom right of the timing cover, not the clutch cover as I mentioned previously

smart51

posted on 6/9/06 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yamaha fit an oil level sensor rather than an oil pressure sensor. Given that the bike is net exactly a tourer, do you really need oil pressure?
ChrisGamlin

posted on 6/9/06 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO an oil pressure gauge is very useful in a BEC because its the only way you'll ever spot oil surge if you've got it!

Bob C

posted on 6/9/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Good point Chris - anybody know what the response speed of the electric iol pressure sensors is? My gauge seems to go up/down in about 0.5 to 1s, but I don't know if that's the speed of tyhe pressure fluctuations or if the senders have some sort of built in low pass filtering.
FWIW my sender is screwed direct into the cooler bolt & still hasn't fallen off after about 15 minutes of motor operation......
Bob

ChrisGamlin

posted on 7/9/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
If its bolted directly in I wouldnt be suprised if it failed sooner rather than later though due to the vibrations, not necessarily break physically, just stop working.

Bob C

posted on 8/9/06 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
everyone says it'll break (off) yet these things are designed to screw straight into an engine. So I'm selflessly doing an experiment for the entire BEC community to find out whether all that remote mounting plumbing is just a waste of time. What a top geezer I truly am ;^)

also edging nearer to the 1000 posts mark - am tempted to send this half a dozen times to see what happens.....
Bob

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/9/06 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, just going on what happened to various people on the Yahoo list many moons ago, who all seem to have failures. I think its probably to do with the higher frequency vibrations you get with the bike engine both due to the higher revs and the lower mass of the engine, but Im sure some people have got away with it.

Guinness

posted on 8/9/06 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
I can confirm that screwing an oil pressure sender into an adaptor into the sump / oil way DOES NOT work.

Mine snapped after about 100 miles, pissing oil out all over the shop!

Remote sender required!

Mike

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/9/06 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeh forgot about those to be honest, fitting brass T pieces to have the pressure light fitted as well, they were also very prone to failing but in a more catastrophic way as you found out

[Edited on 8/9/06 by ChrisGamlin]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.