Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Good Bike chain and sprocket supplier Leicestershire or mail order
NS Dev

posted on 9/11/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Good Bike chain and sprocket supplier Leicestershire or mail order

I'm after a supplier of motorbike chain and sprockets at a good price but needs to be specific stuff not cheapo no name road stuff.

I need 525 chain as that is what the aprilias use, and o-ring or x-ring would be nice, but not necessary. Much more importantly it needs to be minimum 10,000lb strength chain, and a lot of the std chains are not up to this.

I don't need std bike lengths, but to order off a roll would be ideal, and I need to buy a breaker/riveter too.

I also need a supply of steel or ally sprockets, pref a place where I can browse a heap of them to find ones with 525 pitch and the right number of teeth, but also nice centres (i.e. as small a hole pcd as poss) to make machining a boss easier.

any bikers know of somewhere good?

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

thebull

posted on 9/11/06 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
try b & c express at potterhanworth Lincoln 01522 791369 or e mail
sales@bandcexpress.co.uk

trikerneil

posted on 9/11/06 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Try Talon Engineering LINK they have supplied me sprockets to drawing for various Trikes i've built

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 9/11/06 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Ahhh perfect!!

Cheers Neil!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Sacal

posted on 9/11/06 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Am i right in thinking this is for your grasstracker?

If so, get steel sprokets as they will last a lot longer than alloy, if you dont mind the maintainance you can go with an non o ring chain, it will have less resistance and you just need to keep it clean and oil between races....o rings are great for road bikes as you dont have to worry about oiling and cleaning them so much....on a race bike/car it wont be a big deal, and anything that helps get the holeshot has gotta be good right

If you can find your local offroad/motox bike shop they will have non o rings MUCH cheaper than a road bike shop!Should have a decent selection of chain lengths too, sometimes buying a longer chain is cheaper believe it or not lol. Renthal or DID if you want a name brand and you wont go wrong, Talon as mentioned are excelent too.

Hope that helps somewhat!

NS Dev

posted on 9/11/06 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
certainly is for the grasstracker!

If you can point me towards a non-x/o-ring chain, in 525 size, with >10,000lb tensile strength that would be great. As you say, most places just talk about road chains, and the sealing rings must add a lot to cost, and are of little value for my racing, as the chain can/will be cleaned and replaced pretty often anyway.

Will call talon about the sprockets, have had a couple of recommendations for them but couldn't remember the name until Neil did!

I need the strong chain because with 2 engines, both large v-twins, linked by chain, the stresses from non-synchronised firing of the two engines could be pretty vicious I think! I know it works fins as there are several cars running this setup, but they are mainly TL1000's which use 530 chain as std.

I think it will be easier to get stronger 525 chain than to get 530 sprockets cut for the aprilia engines.

Minicooper

posted on 9/11/06 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
One possibility, when I was investigating a big power blackbird, I ask B&C express about a 630 front sprocket, from the information they hold, spline, depth, etc they were able to supply another sprocket from a totally different manufacturer that happened to fit perfectly. Worth asking didn't cost any extra

Ideally what you need is 530 from each engine to the common shaft and then a single 630 to the diff

I've never heard of a 525 with a tensile strength in excess of 10,000 but that doesn't mean they don't exist

I use the Tsubaki 530 Sigma with 10,500 tensile strength

Cheers
David

NS Dev

posted on 9/11/06 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
just a thought, can I run 530 chain on the 525 sprocket? Will give some sidefloat but is this a major issue?

Just wondering because it would seem that there is much more chain choice in 530!

Minicooper - will a single 630 chain be strong enough to take the drive to the diff? I was thinking I would need 2 chains, most of the other grassers use a duplex chain or two bike chains.

Minicooper

posted on 9/11/06 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
a single 630 is what the hillclimb people use, but the shock loading must be massive in a grasser.

Two tuned hayabusa through a single 630 on slicks and tarmac

Hmm probably going to need something stronger again for grassing

David

NS Dev

posted on 9/11/06 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ooh I dunno, I will be well short on power compared to two tuned hayabusas. The shock loading will be high but the power much less, so might be ok!

I will "only" have around 280hp in total, whereas two tuned busas will be around 400 or so.

Is this in an OMS hillclimber? (the two tunes busas)

Minicooper

posted on 9/11/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
There are three of them I've seen, 2 are single seaters and the other is like a mini lemans open cockpit thing

They might be OMS but I thought they were Force Racing, but there is no mention of them in the Force website so your probably right

They use two tiny chains to the common shaft then a single 630 to the diff

Cheers
David

NS Dev

posted on 9/11/06 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
The OMS would be the mini-le mans type thing, there is a black one around that is frighteningly quick, looks a bit like a radical

chriscook

posted on 9/11/06 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard good things about Alf England in Bedworth - they are a Yamaha place but have got OE Kawazaki stuff for a mate before. GF had her R6 serviced there.

No idea to how they'll react to oddball enquiries though - could be worth a try.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.