Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which engine for new car?
R1 STRIKER

posted on 23/11/06 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
which engine for new car?

Ok, I couldn't resist any longer. Have just ordered a new striker kit. Build slot is feb so have a little time to decide spec.

This will be my second striker I have built. I've got an R1 powered car at the moment, which used to have a 16v 4age in.

Decision time. Think this ones going to be car engine again but which one? At the moment a black top 20v 4age looks like the best bet. Considered duratec but after speaking to martin at RAW this could be a real pain and would need a one off chassis. Has any body used the 1.8 2zz-ge in a rear drive car yet?

Any ideas? Have to remember the striker is a small car. I just know everyone's going to say busa, but i've just done the bike thing so want a car engine this time, must be 160bhp plus.

Ben.

PS. Anyone want a R1 striker!

TimC

posted on 23/11/06 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Those 20V motor's are very impressive. Have you been out in the Raw demonstrator?

Have you gone for the lowered race-spec chassis? I nearly did!

iank

posted on 23/11/06 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
S2000 ?
DIY Si

posted on 23/11/06 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't the engine in the boot? If so, how's about the Honda VTec? 200 bhp with a cam change, more if you use the S2000 engine (247?)

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

ned

posted on 23/11/06 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
for a light, compact engine apart from the 4age i'd go for the 1.6 zetec se, developed with yamaha apparantly. with throttle bodies from shawspeed it can go to 170bhp relatively easily with bits available to take it right up to 220bhp and probabhly more if you wanted.

it is ally block so lightweight and nice and compact so easy to work around. found in focus, fiesta and puma's. the later black top one is the one to get, believe some of the latest versions are branded duratec. check shawspeeds website. bellhousings and some bits/support also available from westfield and quantum.

Ned.

[Edited on 23/11/06 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 23/11/06 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi cant remember exactly what i heard but havent they tied up a deal on engines with noble motorsport. What engine is it they are supplying to them.

cheers matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
R1 STRIKER

posted on 23/11/06 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, you guys are quick today.

Luckily I live just down the road from RAW which was one of the deciding factors when I bought my 1st striker. I haven't been out in the current demonstrator but will before I make final choice. Thought about the lowered chassis but although the car will spend quite alot of time on track, I also want it to be road leagal. There are a few to many speed bumps in hereford for that sort of ground clearance!
The s2000 can and has been made to fit. but it's not small and the gear box alone is VERY heavy, No shortage of power though.

procomp

posted on 23/11/06 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hi yep just asked someone and they are offering a 350 bhp 2.0litre duratec. I think however they must be joking as the works race car has dificulty using the 180 bhp without falling of the track.

But i assume that they can however fit a duratec in then which is the way to go IMHO.

cheers matt

R1 STRIKER

posted on 23/11/06 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, also checked. Looks like its there northern agent offering the 350 bhp duratec. Seems it's got a large turbo. As you say, not ideal in such a small car. Whilst I was talking to Martin earlier, he was just fitting traction and launch cotrol to the new demo car. This is a different system to the one they tried a couple of year ago.
BenB

posted on 23/11/06 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Always fancied a S2000 engine but I'm told that they're pretty tall and would be a problem for most Sevenesque cars...
stevebubs

posted on 23/11/06 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Been fitted to an Indy...so a suitably modified Striker should take it..
Tim 45

posted on 23/11/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
A 350bhp 2.0 duratec must be turboed or supercharged as IIRC max power from a normally aspirated 2.0 is 250bhp.

The 2.3 on the other hand, according to cosworth seems to be capable of 300bhp+

MikeRJ

posted on 23/11/06 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
Been fitted to an Indy...so a suitably modified Striker should take it..

Strikers are pretty tiny though, even compared to a Locost.

How about the humble Vauxhall 1.6 Ecotec? Cheap to buy, but gives an alleged 164bhp with SBD taper throttle body kit, or 202bhp if you have deep pockets and got for the upgrade kit. Bellhousing to mate to Type9 are easily available and fairly cheap.

ned

posted on 23/11/06 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
you could get 300bhp from a nat asp 2ltr but would be very highly strung..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

thomas4age

posted on 24/11/06 at 01:10 AM Reply With Quote
He striker,

You could, and I almost did,

Buy an 20v silvertop engine, tak it apart put paradise racing pistons in it, to lower the compression ratio to 9.0:1 and ditch a eaton or rotrex charger on it.

I know how feckin fast my NA 20v silvertop is, but that would be a totaly different ballgame. around 1 bar static on a turbo system yields around 230hp@ 7800rpm, and with a cool charge ala rotrex that would be even better.

I have spoken to paradise racing about this, and they recomended their Arias made pistons and a metal head gasket for the job. the pistons are $475 and the cometic gasket $65. which seems cheap enough, considering you'd need an omex anyway for the engine.

engine $800, pistons gasket, $540.
TTS has very competetive prices on rotrex chargers.

anyway would cost some serious money but a New duratec would be even more expensive. It would certainly make for a brilliant engine with power all over the place and a redline most can only dream of.

speak to Luis at paradise LuisCorujo@paradiseracing.com

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

R1 STRIKER

posted on 24/11/06 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Thomas,
Yes, you seemed very pleased with your 20v at Le mans. At the moment I think this will be the way I'll go. Just looking in to the 2zz-ge a little more 1st though.

Ben.

thomas4age

posted on 24/11/06 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Bad engine, valve problems. to an extend toyota has allready discontinued the first series of them.
if you can seriously behave yourself and never misshift or overrun the engine it's very nice 190hp stock fro 1.8L NA.

anyway a 4a serie is known to hold out with 430+HP AND 8krpm for a very long time.

gimme a 4age anytime
Yes I'm still very pleased with the engine in the car. the torque it produces and the way it produces that is just amazing and doens't let you for a second believe that it's a 1.6L engine, let alone the sound of one and the flame shooting exhaust.

here's a movie, no real revs yet as the engine had just gone in the car.
http://media.putfile.com/compilatie-striker-thomas
the donut hall, is at speedon, the dutch Raw importer (aka mischa's place)

grtz Thomas

[Edited on 24/11/06 by thomas4age]

bimbleuk

posted on 26/11/06 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
If you've got a Striker then I would highly recommend staying with the 4AGE. They seem to work rather well together as proven many times by the RAW demo car chasing other more powerful kit cars

Oh and their demo is about to be refreshed after a hard season doing demo laps and group tests. Not one failure that I'm aware of!

RAW did a trial fit of the 2ZZ-GE but like a lot of modern alloy VVT engines it was quite tall. Also you can't do to much to them except forced induction. Which is what I did in my Celica.

Did you go for the chassis with T45 full roll over cage as its just as light as my older single roll over hoop? If I did it again I will certainly go for the TR chassis with the revised scuttle design.

As for engines Mel will be getting some more stock in soon. My "blacktop" will probably be available as soon as next week. I'm just building up a modified "silvertop". Just in case you wanted a tidy (its been painted look in my pic archive) proven engine with a big wing alloy sump.

Otherwise my "silvertop" head has been modified and I'm playing with CAMs starting next week (its in bits still). If that goes well I may have my Rotrex fitted before Christmas. I'm going with stock compression to start with. If its difficult to map on stock compression then I have some GZE pistons to lower the compression (£155 for a set).

I bought my Rotrex from TTS. My other recommendation would be to build up a 1400cc Hayabusa using TTS parts. You can follow the progress on the Radical I help to maintain on the website below. We had a ZZR1100 last season. You'll need big pockets though!

www.mtcracing.co.uk

R1 STRIKER

posted on 26/11/06 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi bimbleuk,

Haven't spec'd the chassis yet, will do it a little closer to my build slot.

At the moment I think it will be-

Independent rear
subaru diff
new scuttle
full cage or at very least side impact bar.

Engine choice is so hard. Very interested in your rotrex project. My old 16v was putting out 161bhp on mech repairs rolling road. Just looking for a little more from this one. Striker chassis is so good, The rotrex should give it the power it deserves and make it feel like a larger capacity engine.
It's a shame no one seems to like the 2zz-ge as I've just found a bellhousing from caterham south africa.

Think i've seen your car at RAW. Are you local to Hereford? Would be interested in looking at your supercharger set up.

Ben.

bimbleuk

posted on 27/11/06 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
R1,

I'm fairly close to RAW and will certainly be at RAW a few times as my SC install progresses. I will be posting on here with any interesting results.

If you got 161BHP on Mech Repairs rollers you usually be confident you'll get at least that on other setups as they've always been quite conservative.

Coincidentally I was there today with my 20V head in bits checking the valve clearances. They were fine when I first checked them but I think the springs may have settled over the last week. Luckily Brian at M.R. knows someone who can make me some.

Tomorrow I start on the botom end and possibly mounting the SC by the end of the week.

[Edited on 27/11/06 by bimbleuk]

NS Dev

posted on 28/11/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Much as I'm a vauxhall fan, and both the vauxhall 1.6 16v and ford-yamaha zetec se 1.6 16v (and the 1.7 vvt version) are outstanding engines, I think the Toyota probably fits the bill well, especially as you are close to RAW.

Sorry to contradict BimbleUK, but I'm not such a fan of the rotrex supercharger, even though I have looked at using one myself in the past. They have a similar issue to turbochargers in terms of torque and power delivery, and the vehicle I went out in fitted with one showed this fairly noticeably. Noisy and large as they are, positive displacement blowers are definitely the way to go for me. The whipple screw type ones are very efficient and pretty quiet as well.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

bimbleuk

posted on 29/11/06 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen good and bad installs of the Rotrex and I have some trepidation about it working on my car. If its great I'm sure RAW will be looking at offering a kit for the 4AGE engines. If not I'll post my experiences on here so others can benefit from it.

Mech Repairs, the garage I use, are regularly used as a developement base for low volume manufacturers. Partially because OMEX are so closely tied. Rotrex themselves have been there recently as a couple of small manufacturers are assesing engine upgrade kits.

So I'm hopefully in the right place to give it my best shot

As for the Whipple I kinda know I should have gione this route already but I quite like making things difficult for myself!

R1 STRIKER

posted on 29/11/06 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Justin,
Did you ever consider fitting a 16v 4agze instead? Any reason why you didn't?
I have only seen one striker with this set up. It was a tight fit though.
Ben.

thomas4age

posted on 29/11/06 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I've drivven one once, but that far to civiliezed to be really funny.

it won't rev because the supercharger runs out of oopf before the engine does.

supercharged 20v would be manic methinks.

grtz Thomas

bimbleuk

posted on 29/11/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Ben,

I originally built my Striker with a 16V 4AGE as it was easy to get an SVA pass without a CAT. I later installed the 20V which was quite a revelation being very smooth and with a wide power band as standard.

I've built an 1800cc 16V 4AGZE (or 7AGZE if you will) before so the 20V was something new to play with.

Thomas,

I almost want the engine to be a little bit scary to drive as I need to cure myself of the tuning bug! I quite often build a perfectly good engine then get bored and look for the next project.

[Edited on 29/11/06 by bimbleuk]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.