Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Studying abroad, where to go?
turbo time

posted on 26/11/06 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Studying abroad, where to go?

Hey guys,

Thought I'd get your opinion of this, as perhaps you're more familiar with some of the places I'm considering, as this is a more international forum than most that I'm on.

Anyhow, I'm from the Washington DC area, and currently attend Virginia Tech. I'm a senior, and am looking to study abroad during my last semester (which would be next fall, or roughly aug-jan of '07). I'm a Finance, Insurance, and Business Law major. I'm considering the following places:
1) Hong Kong (Chinese University of Hong Kong or City University of Hong Kong)
2) Sweden (Not sure where, there's 2-3 good choices)
3) The UK (Again, not sure where, tons of options)
4) Australia (looking at RMIT, quite like it)

So I'm not sure what to use to decide, I tried to approach it logically, made a decision matrix with the following criteria: Housing (roomate, single, crappy or nice rooms, etc), food quality, prestige/ beneficial future opprtunites expected from having studied in said area, weather, entertainment/ local activities. (and I would have put attractiveness and supply of females on there, but really, anywhere I go they will be there and I'll track them down.)

But frankly, I haven't much clue about what it's actually like. So, what do you reccomend, what should I know, what's to avoid, etc etc? Any info is good. Bottom line is that I'll simply tend to make generalizations about any of the above places and base my decisions on those half-true generalizations and stereotypes, which I aim to avoid.
(I did my travelling at least 8+ years ago with the parents, and don't remember much)

As for what I'm into, love cars and ridiculous levels of fabrication, enjoy F1, don't drink (at all), I'm not religious in any form, I play hockey at least a couple tiems a week, and the only other language I speak is a decent bit of Spanish, but I'd make an effort to learn if I were in a non-English speaking country. (and I'm often the audacious douchebag that makes fun of everyone, and gets away with it cause I'm a goofy bastard...so that could be bad )

Like I said, any info is appreciated.

The Projects: www.absurdcars.com

Macbeast

posted on 26/11/06 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd pick Hong Kong, as UK and Australian culture is similar to USA, and you can always experience Swedish in Minnesota

(edited to insert missing word)

[Edited on 26/11/06 by Macbeast]

Confused but excited.

posted on 26/11/06 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
As you are looking for a suitable place to 'study' I am suprised that the best source of information/experience did not figure in your decision matrix criteria. So stop the BS, you just want to know the best place to party!
Enjoy your last semester.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

TimC

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
I've been to HK twice.

You'll not find a livler place to "study".

Johnmor

posted on 27/11/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Hong kong

China is going to be the place to be in the next few years, Honk kong will give you the edge.

Pretty hot and humid though in Jan / Feb

iscmatt
Contributor

Posts 1929
Registered 30/3/06
Location York

Photo Archive Go!
Building: - BUILT - 2.0 pinto indy, Kent Cam, zzr1100 carbs

posted on 27/11/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hong Kong, i went to china this past year, amazing place to be at the moment!
ned

posted on 27/11/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
If coming to the uk I'd guess you'd want to aim for LSE, UCL (used to work there) or Oxford for prestige and looking good on your cv.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.