Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi engine and gearbox
trogdor

posted on 28/3/07 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
Audi engine and gearbox

Hi, sorry to bring this up again but does anyone have the ablitity to give me the dimensions of an audi 4 cylinder engine and gearbox, one from an audi 80 would be good what differences between the models is there?

many thanks

tom

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/3/07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
So is that you giving up on the previous engine? Remember that the Audi engine is tilted over to one side (it's mounted more over to the drivers side also, see pic) unfortunately you will have to maintain this tilt even in the SAAB so it takes up a lot of room in an engine bay. Sorry I don’t have dimensions but you'll find plenty to measure in the scrappy’s

The 4 & 5 cylinder engines use the same configuration of block, looks like they simply stuck on an extra cylinder. I think it is similar to an old SAAB 900 in size.

Renault also did that layout but with an upright engine.

[Edited on 28/3/07 by Mr Whippy] Rescued attachment JS_EngineFront.jpg
Rescued attachment JS_EngineFront.jpg

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
miegru

posted on 28/3/07 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Audi engines (and the VW/Seat versions) come in different forms; most engines are installed in different angles in different models. Also both in north-souths as east-west configurations.

Am not close to my seven now so cannot measure. In terms of lenght the 2.0L 20V alu engine is roughly the same as the Duratec. Some Audi engines (like mine) has the oilpump mounted directly in the sump; shortening the sump is impossible because of this. The 1.8T doesn't have this problem though.

Any help?

nasty-bob

posted on 28/3/07 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure which model you are after but if you the longitudinally mounted transaxles there are some drawings in my archive (016 model gearbox).

I can even send you a basic 3D model if you like.

Can't help with the engine though I'm afraid.

All the best

AlphaX

posted on 28/3/07 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
the 1.8t is a great engine, lots of power all around. Great for a kitcar cos its got no boostgap. It is tall indeed, 63cm and not really any way to loose a few cm. They can be mounted at 0degrees or at 15degrees. We connect them to ford gearboxes.
trogdor

posted on 29/3/07 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
tall is not too much of a prob as the engine bay should take that, just about.

have been too a scrappy this morn and found one to measure, the engine itself lloks fine the angle of tilt is ok as my engine bay is quite wide, (about 80cm) might have to change the induction but the engine itself is ok, also the gearbox looks like it will fit, though it is quite difficult to measure insitu with another unstable car on top of the audi! any techical drawings that anyone has i would be grateful.

what software do i need to view the 3d drawing? would be interested in the transaxle dimensions!

many thanks

yeah am selling my zetec as its a fair bit more work to fit than i thought.

[Edited on 29/3/07 by trogdor]

trogdor

posted on 31/3/07 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
just an update on my saab project

have got an haynes manual for an audi 80, its looking good, for fitting to the saab, as the tilt will work in my favour as there will be plenty of space on the other side of the engine bay for the radiator, and i can have cold air feeds through the redundant indicator holes in the wings as well, one for the induction and the other the rad. will have to cut and shut the wing abit to fit induction and the end of the engine bay to accomadate the gearbox, but it shouldn't foul the steering rack either so thats good.

the clutch is hydralic, (bonus) am hoping the saab master cylinder for the clutch will match the audi slave, is that much an issue?

the fun bit apart from fitting the engine is sorting the driveshafts, as they will have to custom made, and the gear linkage which i will have to completely fabriacate as the column change won't work.

now i just have to find a decent donor and get it home and dismantled before mum or my fiance finds out.

oh and the zetec is still avalible, need to get rid of that first! also have a brand new saab 900 slave cylinder as well that is redundant.

cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.