Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Needs to be Locostified - Help?
akumabito

posted on 14/4/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Needs to be Locostified - Help?

I've talked about the little Pembleton Brooklands before, and how I think it's one of the sexiest kitcars around.

Now the only things I really, really dislike are the chassis (Or rather, the hamster-cage that apparently is supposed to function like a chassis!) and the donor... here, take a look at this chassis:

To me that does not look like something that belongs in car, let alone keep the car together!

I also don't like the donor. The 2CV used to make a great little donor for this kind of cars, but they're getting rare now, and in most places a suitable donor car costs more than the whole kit.

So I was thinking about a collective redesign. There are a lot of great minds on this site, and if there are enough people interested, I bet we could design a similar vehicle in proper gound-up locost style.

The chassis would need to be replaced by a properly triangulated version that is still easy to fabricate at home, and the donor would have to be replaced by another vehicle.. perhaps a VW Beetle? Then it still got a watercooled boxer engine, and if you flip the diff, you could place the engine in front of the front axle.. or you could use the BMW boxer engine like on that picture mated to a transaxle..

Anyways, first let's see if there are any people interested in such a car. It won't be too practical for racing, but it makes a nice "classic" tourer!

Alternatively, maybe there would be more people interested in a 1920's style racecar such as the Bugatti T35B.. the body is very straight forward, and the mechanical bits could be borrowed from older model BMW,Mercedes or Jaguar (a classic Jag straight-six would be very sexy looking!).. You could use it as a tourer, or even race it with tweaked suspension..

Any takers?

Confused but excited.

posted on 14/4/07 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
A Pembleton three wheeler was what got me interested in building a car in the first place. Their cars look really nice ('cos I'm old as well). The Bugatti T35 is one of my two favourite cars of all time. I would love to have a go at building one. I just don't have the expertise to design and build from scratch...........yet.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

chrisg

posted on 14/4/07 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Beautiful cars but I can see a few SVA issues with both, seat belt or harness heights for one.

One possibility would be to build this type of car on a Spitfire or Herald chassis retaining the donor registration and avoiding the SVA.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

akumabito

posted on 14/4/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thee was this guy that used a Land Rover 109 chassis to make his Chitty Chitty Bang Bang replica... looked awesome, but not really a 1920's sportscar..

It reminds me of the cars used to race the Paris - Beijing rallys of the early 20th century..

Oohhh.. nice website the guy has: http://www.chitty.org.uk/

[Edited on 14/4/07 by akumabito]

[Edited on 14/4/07 by akumabito]

paulf

posted on 14/4/07 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I also like the idea of a Buggati replica and have thought of building one,but the SVA puts me off.To get one SVA would involve rebuilding after the SVA to get it to look correct , such as interior which has lots of metal and sharp edges and the exterior parts such as the handbrake lever and exposed suspension parts.
I also like the Pembelon and saw them at stonleigh a few years ago they were supposed to be able to pass SVA, the one in the pic looks to be fitted with a BMW bike engine.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
Beautiful cars but I can see a few SVA issues with both, seat belt or harness heights for one.

One possibility would be to build this type of car on a Spitfire or Herald chassis retaining the donor registration and avoiding the SVA.

Cheers

Chris

mark_mcd

posted on 15/4/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
type 37? http://www.onyxsportscars.f9.co.uk/id21.htm
akumabito

posted on 16/4/07 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Very sexy

It wouln't have to be an exact replica.. just the overall styling of the 20s sportscars is what does it for me..

I remember a site with great drawings of a number of historic sportscars, including 1920s and 1930s models. Unfortunately, I lost the URL. It was posted here on the forum, too! Anyone know the site I'm talking about?

iank

posted on 16/4/07 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg

Cheers

Chris

That's likely why they use the 2CV chassis.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

iank

posted on 16/4/07 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Take a look at the blackjack zero for engine inspiration on this kind of car, and for getting an engine sticking out the front through SVA.

http://www.blackjackzero.com/mainindex.htm

Agree about the chassis, it's really just a support for the body on top of the 2CV chassis IIRC. Side impact is non existent, even worse than a 7.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

akumabito

posted on 19/4/07 at 05:49 AM Reply With Quote
Are there any 1920s racecars with a higher rear end? That would probably make it easier to comply with seatbelt regulations..

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.