Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alternator
r1_pete

posted on 25/5/07 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Alternator

Anyone used a bike alternator on a car engine? I'm stuck for space and need an alternator about 100mm or so diameter. Will have to be converted to poly v drive, any experiences?
Cheers.
Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 25/5/07 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I have got a spare Kawasaki ZX10 bike Alternator and looking at it I would think the Front bearing may be a little small the take the load of a belt drive,It is normally direct driven by a rubber cush drive, But there may be some types that are man enough.
Steve.

Agriv8

posted on 25/5/07 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Have you had a look at the Kuboto alternator it is very small it might fit.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

fazerruss

posted on 25/5/07 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
alternator

If you can wait till after the week end I could have a look in my mums shed, there is at least 50 new or recon alternators of various types you could have very cheap.
02GF74

posted on 25/5/07 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
think this one has coe up before.

bike alternators are fixed into the engine/geabox casing and driven via a gear so there is little loadinig on the bearings.

oh the otherhand car ones are attached to body and positoned to keep a drive belt in tension hence a fair bit of load on the bearings.

dunno how easy it would be to adapt a bike one; you would also need to work out the gearing i.e. puylley diameters.

r1_pete

posted on 25/5/07 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss
If you can wait till after the week end I could have a look in my mums shed, there is at least 50 new or recon alternators of various types you could have very cheap.

Yes I'm in no rush, collecting parts at the moment, and making sure I have all key components before a trial fit....
Cheers.
Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 25/5/07 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
??? My Rover K-series has the alternator fixed to the engine block. My previous kit car had a Pinto, and the alterntor was fixed directly to the engine on that too.

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
think this one has coe up before.

bike alternators are fixed into the engine/geabox casing and driven via a gear so there is little loadinig on the bearings.

oh the otherhand car ones are attached to body and positoned to keep a drive belt in tension hence a fair bit of load on the bearings.

dunno how easy it would be to adapt a bike one; you would also need to work out the gearing i.e. puylley diameters.

MonkeyHunter

posted on 25/5/07 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
fazerruss You have U2U.

Cheers,
Scott.

quote:
Originally posted by fazerruss

[Edited on 25/5/07 by MonkeyHunter]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.